2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multi-user DB opens read only (Access 97)

I am working with a non-profit organization that has an Access 97 database. It resides on a shared drive, and every time a second user opens the database, it opens read only. I'm sure there are a number of things that can cause this. I'll tell you the things I've tried, and I hope others can tell me things I've missed.

Today I set up a workgroup ID and made sure that all users are logging on using that. I set up user accounts for everyone. I made all but one of the users to be members of the Users group. One user is also in the Admin group. I set the permissions for Users and Admins for all objects to read and write where appropriate, and I made sure no one is set to open exclusively.

It doesn't seem to matter who opens the database first, the second person is always locked out and can only open read only.

Where else can I look? What other options haven't I found?

Thanks!
    Bob
    Writing Consultant / Word Template Designer
    Words Connect

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi-user DB opens read only (Access 97)

This is usually a symptom of inadequate *network* permissions, not Access security. All your users need to have at least create and modify permissions in the shared folder. There have been a number of threads on this problem, so a Lounge Search should find plenty of discussion.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Charlotte. I had tried a search, but I searched on "read only" and didn't get any pertinent hits. I searched on "permissions" and then "locked" and found more relevant posts.

I am *fairly* sure that the guys who set up the network did the network permissions right, but that is the first thing I'll check. A few other things I'll check:
    * I didn't use the Security Wizard, and I saw posts stating that made a difference
    * I haven't looked for .ldb files (I may do some more Lounge searching to learn about those)
    * Users are opening the DB with a desktop shortcut to the shared drive--I want to see if it affects the problem to open using File-Open

Thanks for your help!
    Bob
    Words Connect

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You might also check and see if the shortcut to the desktop opens the database in Exclusive mode - that will cause this kind of behavior.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Would you have to use a command line switch to open exclusively through a shortcut? Or is there a switch to open non-exclusively? Currently, the shortcut simply points to the .mdb file on the shared drive (serverfolderdatabase.mdb).

Thanks,
    Bob
    Words Connect

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You can specify the mode in the command line, but I believe Access 97 remembers how you opened a database the last time, and opens it again that way the next time if you don't specify a new mode. So that could also be a source of your problem.
    Wendell