2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page Numbers (Chap-Page) (2000 sr1)

I am trying to get page number inserted in the footer in format Chapter Number - Page number
    2-1, 2-2 ..3-1, 3-2 etc, starting on page 5 after TOC.
    I have sections breaks, Chapter heading are all one heading style (heading 9) Nothing seems to work, I have followed steps as best I can . I am just getting a single page number stating on the footer at the bottom of chapter 1 ( page 4 after toc) going 1 through 44 never adding numbers section or seeing them.
    I don't know where to go next.
    Help me. I would be willing to send the document to anyone who can help.
    Thanks

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page Numbers (Chap-Page) (2000 sr1)

In order for this to work, your Heading 9 style must be be formatted with numbering. I suspect that is your problem--it is not.

Hope this helps!

Thanks

Re: Page Numbers (Chap-Page) (2000 sr1)

There are many different ways to do this. Here's one: Use the { SECTION } and { PAGE } fields to construct your numbering. So for example, if you are on the fourth page of the in the third section,

{ SECTION }-{ PAGE }

would yield

3-4

You can insert these fields in your footer using Insert |Field... (they are under Numbering) or you can do them manually by pressing Ctrl+F9 to create the {|} field braces and then typing the code inside.

Next, you need to restart page numbering in each section. Select your entire document and choose Insert|Page Numbers... then click the Format... button, then click the radio button next to Start At and enter 1. Click OK and then click the Close button. (Important, do not click OK here or additional field codes will be added to your footers.) If you do not want this to apply to your TOC, omit the first section from the selection.

Does this work? If not, we can move on to more complicated solution.