Thread: Long file names

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Long file names

I'm having a problem.

I'm in the process of migrating files from an NT4 server to a Windows 2000 server (on a different domain, although I don't think that's relevant). On the NT server, the base directory that I'm moving was one (or possibly two) levels further down the tree, but contained an identical structure in it's new location.

Unfortunately, while I'm having problems with long filenames. The directories and files all have long filenames - up to 100 characters in the case of one document - and Windows 2000 is refusing to let me call the files by their names. Sometimes it won't let me move it, other times it will but not open them (although that varies from program to program - Excel won't [although it sees the file], but Word will).

The problem seems to be tied in with the long filenames - enter a few more characters in a path higher up, I must have less characters in a path lower down and vice versa. But why? The total path length appears to be coming into play, but it would have been longer on the NT server where and extra directory was involved!

The only other factor that I can think is that on the NT server, I was mapping as a drive a folder which was on a partition, whereas on the Windows 2000 server the mapped drive IS the root of the partition. But that shouldn't make a difference, should it?

All help appreciate, as I've wasted far too much time on it already and I'm tearing my hair out!

Thanks.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Long file names

A starting point might be to examine more closely the file-names of those files that give an error. Are there any embedded spaces? If so, remove them and try the operation again. Then try putting the name in quotes and doing the same thing.
    You could also try renaming a selection of the files to something shorter using a batch renamer such as Rname It 3.1.1. (Freeware, my site )

Click My Sig #22c

Thanks

Re: Long file names

I can sympathize: I wrote a VBScript routine to "fix" some file name problems and accidentally generated names so long that Windows 2000 would not allow any access to them from the GUI or CMD. I eventually fixed the problem by truncating the file names with VBScript run from a Win2000Pro PC. I don't think I saved the code; it used the FileSystemObject. If you only have a few errant names, this might be the way to go. Makes me wonder if something changed between NT4 and 2000 in this area?