4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not able to update via Form (Office 02, OS 2K)

I had to convert my Access 97 database over to Access 2000 format, using Office XP. Our Dept. in Houston upgraded to Office XP but the other sites (Atlanta and LA) decided to stay in Office 2000. So we created from scratch the database using MS Access XP and the format as 2K. This was about 3 months ago. Yesterday the operator that updates the database enter about 50 records, saved the database and left.

This morning we noticed that the 50 records were missing. When I called up the form to start reentering the information it was like the form was in read access only. We could not edit, delete or add a new record. If we went tothe RAW table we could edit, delete and add new records. So, I created a new form using the same query and the something happend. BTW, it stop/froze at record 666,

Does anybody know or heard of this before?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not able to update via Form (Office 02, OS 2K)

I

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK, I got the problem fixed. To start off.... It was just by accident that we had 666 records.

Yes, I was in Office XP and I created the new database and saved it in 2K format. So when it comes up there is no asking what format. This way, our people can use it with our XP office and Atlanta can use with their 2K. Don't know how it works, just that it works.

I did get it fixed. What it came out to was that some how the main table was changed. The field that I id' to have the Primary Key was turned off. As I have the only password to get into it and I didn't change it. How was it done? Anyway, I added the Primary key and its working now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You want to be more than a little cautious when developing in XP and then deploying to to 2000 systems. I've seen at least three strange things happen, as I have been doing exactly that. Not only that but they are not repeatable. They have involved causing a hard crash in Access when opening a form designed in XP, a problem with report not behaving in 2000 but working in XP, and a debug error in Switchboard forms designed in XP and not working on some 2000 PCs. Other people have reported additional anomolies in the same environment.

So what I do is develop in 2000 format on an XP system, and when I'm satisfied I take it to a 2000 system, and import everything into a new empty database using Access 2000. That process seems to fix whatever weird things are going on.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Rupert,

The default format in AXP is the 2000 database format. There is a 2002 format, which is not the same.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Those are some interesting porblems, I hope I don't have to many more. Right now we are try to move our data in IBM's Mainframe DB2 and use VB to write a front end and use our forms in VB.

My problem with Access is that we have to completely upgrade to XP's as our Network group will not support or allow us to install a 2K system. Even with all the problem's we are having in Access, Outlook and Work the Network Manager is reporting no problem's to upper management.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you mean you have to use the Access forms in VB, good luck! Access uses different forms from VB and the rest of Office. They don't translate.
    Charlotte

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, we will us VB to dupliate the look of the forms. The plan is to completely take Access off all the PC and use DB2 as our database.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That (duplication the look of Access forms) is a formidable challenge. For one thing, subforms are really hard to do in VB - you will almost certainly need to change the look and feel if you are currently using subforms. And you will find data manipulation to be a bigger challenge too. Our rule of thumb is that it takes 3 or 4 times as long to build an application (or maintain it) using VB instead of Access. So we only use VB when we need very rapid response times, which is almost never. You have some interesting challenges ahead.
    Wendell