New Lounger
    Thanks

adding bitmaps to a table (2k)

I want to add bitmaps to a table using visual basic, and I don't want to go through a form. This program is going to run in the background and get bitmaps from a folder and put them in a table that is of type OLE object. I can't find any help for this anywhere. Thanks.

Kevin

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: adding bitmaps to a table (2k)

An OLE object field is much like a memo field, except that at least in Access if you store a bitmap file as one, it apparently stores some sort of object reader/displayer with the object, and your database will grow by something linke a MegaByte for each object. We had a case where a user tried to store about 2000 JPEG files in an Access database, and by the time he got to 500 the database was getting really big and sluggish. The better solution seems to be to store the path to the bitmap rather than storing it directly in a table. That assumes of course that you have lots of them. Hope this helps - you might also search this forum for things like bitmap or image or OLE objects.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: adding bitmaps to a table (2k)

I hope you'll take Wendell's warnings to heart. In my last job, which was in a govenment office, we had entire servers filled up a couple of times because someone decided to store a bunch of graphics in an Access database.

When you say you want to add bitmaps using visual basic, are you talking about Visual Basic or are you referring to VBA in Access? In either case, you want to store the address, not the actual graphic. If you don't want to use a form, what is the purpose of storing the graphics (or the links) in the first place?
    Charlotte