2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Security (2000)

I have just taken over a database for a new client. They use security but the previous individual did not appear to print out the report showing the details of the WorkGroup file. I am now trying to find out stuff like Workgroup ID Group ID's etc. The wizard will not let me Modify Current WorkGroup Information file even though I am logged in with Admin permissions. I have also tried with no specific login (i.e. no password for Admin). Any ideas on how I can get at this information so that a record can be made and kept in case of disaster?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Security (2000)

To my knowledge, you can't. The Workgroup ID and User/Group Personal ID's are kept encrypted for security and there's no functionality in Access to display them.

You can certainly find out the user names, group names, and access rights if you're logged in with Admin permissions. So, the easiest way might be to import everything into a new, unsecured database, create a new workgroup (and record the Workgroup ID) and recreate the security.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access Security (2000)

Douglas is correct - if the database was properly secured, you can't extract any information about Workgroup or User IDs. On the other hand if it wasn't properly secured you may well be able to get in. There is probably a Master user ID in the system that is other than Admin, and if you can identify that login and crack the password, then you can begin to manipulate the security so you can import everything into a new database and redo the security. Good luck.
    Wendell