2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printing the address book to a file (2000)

The only option for printing that I can find, other than to the printer, is to a file. Outlook only allows printing to a .prn format.
    Two questions: 1. is there a way to get it to deliver output as a .doc or .txt format?
    2. What will read the .prn file?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Printing the address book to a file (2000)

You need to install the "Generic" printer and then you can print to a TEXT file. This is not installed by default. Go to the printer wizard and select the Generic printer and away you go.
    Hope this helps.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

(I'm at work where I can't test this, but the following should work.)

Install "Generic/Text" Printer (TTY.DRV) and select FILE: as the Port. (You may need certain Windows *.cab installation files and drivers.) Print Addresses/Contacts as a file to this Generic printer. Any app which can handle *.txt files should be able to read it including Word.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

To go to .doc try a merge. I have read here that if you start your merge from inside Outlook, rather than from Word, you can export more fields. However, many years since I have tried it, so no personal experience to share.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I appreciate the prompt responses very much. I installed the Generic printer, and am able to get the document to open in word now. However, I'm printing from the Company view (landscape) and the file that is generated truncates columns even though the data is displayed properly in Outlook.
    (Gripe: I've been waiting since Schedule for Microsoft to improve the reporting capability and it's no better now than it was then. It's baffling that they don't put any effort into improving the ability to create custom reports. Even ACT does a much better job of this).

At any rate, thanks for you help. If anyone has any more ideas, I'd love to hear them, but I'm running out of time and may have to press on.

BTW, don't think I said what my goal was. I want to share some information about addresses in an Outlook folder with a business partner. I don'e want share everything and don't want to send the entire .pst file. Ergo, creating a report with only the information I wish to share which could be emailed (not printed and fax'ed though that is becoming the best option).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Two quick notes if it's not too late:

You'll probably have to customize one of OL's views to get the text output formatted the way you want.

Have you considered sending your business associate VCards for what he/she needs? When a new exec joined my company; I sent him VCards of all the Senior personnel so he could develop his contacts folder quickly.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

either do a merge to word or if all the fields show in outlook, copy the contacts and paste in a test file. you can also export to a text file - selecting the fields to export. (or export to excel and delete the fields (columns) you don't want to share and save as csv)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This post was just the thing I was looking for. I needed to print one of our public address books. I have installed the generic printer and used File as the post per above. But I still don't have the option to Print when the address book is open. What am I missing? Thanks for your help.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

So you're trying to get at one of the GAL lists? Can you get your system administrator to export the list for you? That generates a delimited file that you can import into Excel and clean up.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am the newly designated sys admin! Not that I know so much but that I know more than most here! Can you tell me how to export the list? I've done that a couple of times with another program to excel but don't really know how to do that. Once it is in Excel the cleaning up will not be a problem. So I don't need the generic printer and I can remove it? Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In the Exchange Admin. When you've selected the directory you want go to the Tools Menu | Directory Export. It's pretty straightforward for there. And the default profile will probably give you the information you need. If not, I won't be able to help because changing the profile isn't real easy and it's been way too long since I've done it.

Good Luck!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much. If it gets too complicated I'll give my outside tech a call!