2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

lock up on Start FYI (2002 - XP)

Just as an FYI. I am using Outlook 2002, started noticing problems in starting Outlook. I would hang with the splash on the screen, usually took opening task manager to get it to work. I would select Outlook (which said it was running) then when prompted to "end now" I would cancel and the program would usually start. I thought back to changes I had made to Outlook before this problem arose. The only thing I could remember was selecting the option to have Outlook do a send and receive at exit.

After I un-selected that option I found the problem has gone away. Why something you do at exit would affect the startup I don't know.

Bret

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: lock up on Start FYI (2002 - XP)

do you have a hotmail or imap account in the profile? do you have it set to check mail every xx minutes?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No hotmail or imap. I do have it set to check every two minutes. Always on cable modem.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

set it to 8-10 min, not 2. it reduces server load and if a mail check happens to run past 2 min, it can cause outlook to lock up.

outlook probably isn't locking up, but for some reason, it's taking a long time to contact the mail server on start up. do you have many rules? reminders?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have about ten or so rules including the Junk mail and Adult content ones. My ISP is starting to provide spam and virus scanning so that has cut my junk mail way down.

I have reset the auto send/receive to 8 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bret