dearnold

opening vCard attachment (2002)

I have a new DELL system with WIN 2K and Office XP PRO (which came installed from Dell). I can't open a vCard ( .vcf file) attached to a received email in Outlook -- I get the message "A required component is missing: WAB32.DLL. Please install Microsoft Outlook again. The specified procedure could not be found."
    I've tried the "repair Office" route. My searches on Dell and Microsoft KB yield nothing that helps. Dell Tech Support (1 call) had no clue - the advice was to go to Microsoft and look for updates to Outlook and IE - generic advice, he admitted.
    I'm baffled -- can someone just point me to this .DLL and tell me which folder it should reside in??
    TIA

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: opening vCard attachment (2002)

that's an OE file - what version of OE do you have installed?

dearnold

OE version is 5.5 -- when I go to Help>About, it shows a wab32.dll file version 6.00.2600.0000
    I'm running Win 2000 Pro and Office 2002

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

odd - that's the version for IE6, OE should be v6 too. This KB http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q196210 says rename the file and reinstall OE.

dearnold

Thanks so much for the ref to the KB article -- I still don't know why I fail to find things like that -- I've searched on wab32.dll many, many times. Oh, well, a story for another time.
    Even though this KB refers to OL 2000 and Win 95 or Win 98, I renamed the file (found four copies of it -- all for v6). Then, went to Windows update and ran ie6setup.exe again (even though I thought I had done that once before today) -- this time something different definitely happened. Now I have Outlook Express 6 and it opens without an error message about address books.
    When I open Outlook 2002, the vCards open just fine!!
    Appreciate your suggestion - thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I still don't know why I fail to find things like that -- I've searched on wab32.dll many, many times. Oh, well, a story for another time.<hr>
    probably because I have access to the cd version of the KB and it has a better search engine. I can search it using file names, the online version can't.