New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000 file format compatibility

We are upgrading from Office 97 to Office 2000 and I am looking for potential file format compatability problems. Reading the Microsoft literature, I am led to believe that (with the exception of Access) the file format in Off2K is the same as that in 97, new features being obviously excluded. I have heard dark rumours somewhere that Off2k files will not sometimes open in Off97. Does anyone have any experience of this?

TIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2000 file format compatibility

I have never had a problem exchanging Word or Excel files between 97 and 2000. I have been using both in a mixed environment for over a year now.
    Legare Coleman

New Lounger
    Thanks

We are in an Office97 environment and regularly receive documents created and saved in Office2000 format and have not had any problems to date with the files.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

The only problems I have been aware of are when people use features in W2k which are not available in W97- for instance, advanced table features, or new VBA commands not available in earlier versions (I had particular trouble with this with something I had developed in Excel 2000 but which did not work at all on Excell 97).

Forward compatibility- not a problem. Backward- yes, possibly. If Bbackward compatibility is an issue, be sure to keep a copy of Office 97 around for testing.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Thanks

As a footnote, don't expect all templates to be compatible, either backwards or forwards, as some of the referenced object libraries changed (e.g., DAO). Templates using WordBasic.SortArray bombed in Word2000. But it's really not bad.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

That's interesting- I haven't had those problems at all.

Is this personal ecperience- if so do you have a few more details? Or is there a knowledge base article?

Thanks
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i don't know if there is or not, but it's true. i used to know some of the ones that caused problems. Bet howard knows them all [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] he may have more details at his site.

Thanks

Personal experience:

(1) Our PCs with Win95/Off97 shipped with DAO 3.5, and those with Win98/Off2000 with DAO 3.6. On some, but not all of the newer PCs, I need to delete the now erroneous reference to the DAO 3.5 library and replace it with a reference to the 3.6 library.

(2) In a Word97 project I used WordBasic.SortArray to alphabetize a directory list before displaying it in a listbox. Some users of newer PCs crashed on this command, though I never figured out why. I resorted to this:

If Application.Version = "8.0" Then 'Word97 only
    WordBasic.SortArray (DirNames())
    End If

But as I said, for the most part, no problems.