3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cell References across worksheets (2000 or XP)

I have a workbook with a sheet labeled 'Report' that has financial info populated by another program. The program populates this worksheet with balances for all of my GL accounts. I have inserted a worksheet that uses cell references to point back to particular account balances on the 'Report' worksheet. So if Cell E17 on the 'Report' worksheet has a value of $100.00 then a cell on my new sheet that contains the reference =Report!E17 also contains the value $100.00 . The problem is that when the third party program updates the figures on the 'Report' worksheet it first deletes the sheet and then re-creates it. This causes my =Report!17 to become =#REF!E17.
    Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about how the program handles the updating of the 'Report' sheet so I have been forced to find a work around. To do this I have changed the cell reference in my new sheet to =INDIRECT(CELL("contents",E17)) and the cell E17 on my new sheet contains the text Report!E17 .
    This work around has resolved my problem however I'd like to change the value on my sheet from =INDIRECT(CELL("contents",E17)) so that it does not require the use of the CELL function and another cell to contain the value Report!E17. The problem is that the use of =INDIRECT(Report!E17) results in #REF.
    Does anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks
    Ed Carden

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cell References across worksheets (2000 or XP)

indirect means what it says - it is an indirect reference to cell C via cell B. Cell B must contain the address of cell C - thats just how the function works.
    In your example INDIRECT(report!e17) , the function is looking for an address in E17 and is getting $100 which it can't resolve to an address.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ahhhh. That makes sense. DO you have any suggestions as to an alternative to my sutuation?

Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You just need to put your reference in quotes, like this:

<pre>=INDIRECT("Report!E17")
    </pre>

Legare Coleman