5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

dump of physical memory

One of our W2k work machines periodically says:

"....unexpected_kernel_mode_trap.
    Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administator or technical support group."

Then it reboots.

What's going on with this?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: dump of physical memory

You've got a problem that Windows 2000 is stopping to prevent data corruption. The physical memory dump is enabled by default, and creates a file with the contents of RAM at the time of the fault (can get pretty big if you have a lot of RAM installed). When you start seeing something like this, it's a sign of a deep-seated problem and the word of the day is: patience. Find out what is causing the blue screen.

To troubleshoot this, you'll need to note other information on the blue screen. Try this article: General Causes of STOP 0x0000007F Errors (Q137539)

Any recent hardware changes, or patches/driver updates?
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No new hardware changes that I can think of.

I looked at the attached article, but it didn't list my stop number of 0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000,)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you didn't see it listed, it's time to do some sleuthing. This error is almost always due to a hardware failure in my experience. Things to look at:

<UL><LI>Anything in the Event Viewer?
    <LI>What is happening around the time of the crash?
    <LI>Are you on a Novell network, using the Novell client?[/list]I'd also go so far as to try taking all the memory out save one stick, and seeing if the problem recurs. I once discovered that I had a bad DIMM socket by doing just that - when the error occurred on one stick only, I switched to another DIMM slot, and the problem went away. Faulty motherboard in this case.

You can also remove additional hardware that is non-essential - sound cards, etc - and replace the NIC, just to see. Make sure that whatever changes you do make are done one at a time, and try to note what is being done with the system at the time of the crash (accessing the network, for example).
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help! I'll start working on this. Looks like it will take some time to play with it.

BTW, it is not on a Novel network. The server NT server.

-KZ

Thanks

A quick rundown of results from a search on Google for "unexpected_kernel_mode_trap" with the codes you mention tend to suggest a hardware problem, possibly RAM.

More background reading:
    Stop 0x0000007F or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP