3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Line Spacing Differences (Word 97 and Word 2000)

I have Word 2000 SR1a. A colleague has Word 97.
    With the same fonts and printer drivers, we are getting differences in the line spacing generally and most noticeable in Contents.
    I have copied the fonts between PCs to ensure they are the same. I have installed the same printer drivers. No change.
    Word 97 is page breaking about 5 lines earlier than Word 2000.
    In Word 2000 I have also tried setting the document to Word 97 compatibility. No change.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can check please? Or is this perhaps a feature?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Line Spacing Differences (Word 97 and Word 2000)

Hi Peter:
    Just a couple of thoughts, which you probably already checked.

First off, is this the same document which is printing differently depending upon whether it's opened on your machine or your colleague's? Or are we talking about creating the same document from scratch on different machines? Assuming the former:

1. If by Contents, you mean the Table of Contents, it could be that the style definitions are different. If manual formatting is added to a TOC and if Format/Style/TOC/Modify/Automatically update is checked, then the style may call for different line spacing.

2. Does one machine's Tools/Templates & Add-ins/Automatically update document styles have a tickmark? If so, then opening the document could change the style definition by "updating" the style to the user's normal.dot (or whatever the attached template is).

3. I'd take a look at the style definitions when the document is opened on each of the machines (you can use the Shift+F1 & click on the paragraph to get that info).

4. If there are underlines involved, I wonder if the spacing is different between 97 & 2000. I haven't checked for that--just a thought.

5. If you go to Format/paragraph does everything check out the same? What about Format/Fonts/character spacing, kerning, etc.?

Can't think of anything else offhand.

Hope this helps.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil
    Well I've tracked down the problem but I'm beat as to the solution.
    I created a new template from File | New, highlighting Blank and selecting template. Then I closed Word and made the new template my Normal template. It doesn't get much cleaner than that.
    Created a document in Word 2000 with a full page of text and mailed it to Word 97 (i.e. colleague with). Absolutely fine.
    Back to my PC in same document, I amended Normal style to 2 points before and 2 points after spacing via the style. This made document two pages so I removed text to make it one page, then resent to Word 97. Problem back. Word 2000 document is one page, Word 97 document is two pages.
    In short, Word 2000 and Word 97 handle paragraph spacing differently.
    Neither PC is set up with Automatically Update Styles by the way.
    If you or anyone else has any ideas I'd be very grateful, apart from the obvious don't use spacing :-)
    Peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Peter,

Your first post mentions Word 97 and Word 2000 handling "line spacing" differently, which is a different thing from handling "paragraph spacing" differently as mentioned in this post.

With regard to paragraph spacing, yes Word 97 and Word 2000 handle it diferently: Assume paragraphs 1 and 2, each set to Space Before and Space After of 2pts. In Word 97, the distance between paragraphs 1 and 2 will be 4 pts (Word 97 adds the two values), while in Word 2000 the distance between paragraphs 1 and 2 will be 2 pts (Word uses the larger of the two values, unless they are the same as in this case).

I guess it's a feature but it did 'bug' a lot of people when their document styles began behaving differently from what was expected.

You do have an option in Word 2000 to set compability to Word 97 paragraph spacing; the specific setting is called "Don't use HTML paragraph auto spacing" (obvious - not!).

With regard to your method for creating a new Normal.dot, that doesn't sound as clean as you can make it - while you may be leaving any macros that were in the original Normal.dot behind by using this method, a lot of other stuff is going to come across, particularly any customizations that were made to styles in the original Normal.dot. If you want to start with a completely clean slate, it's best to delete (or rename) your Normal.dot and let Word create a new one.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Gary
    I found the answer and came back to the forum to post it, to find you had beaten me to it!
    Frustratingly I had tried the compatibility solution expecting it to correct the display in Word 97 and it didn't. It was only later I realised that what it does it change the display in Word 2000 so that you see what the Word 97 user will see as described in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q224686
    I'll now have to rethink my styles to see if I can get the appearance I want just using spacing after. Then it should be OK for Word 97 and HTML. Well, that's the theory until I test it!
    Apologies for incorrectly referring to line spacing (Microsoft refer to line spacing before and after paragraphs in the above article!) and thanks for pointing out the better way of creating a clean Normal template.
    Many thanks to you and Phil.