Thread: Wireless Linux

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless Linux

Does anyone have any experience using Linksys's wireless network with Linux. I've installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 on my IBM Thinkpad 380Z and I want to use Linksys's WPC11 PCMCIA wireless network card.

It works flawlessly when I'm in Windows 2000 but I can't seem to get Linux to recognize it. I suspect I've got to install a driver but I'm not yet sufficiently fluent in Linux to do this. Red Hat has a "wireless packet" on its web site but I can't download it until I get the card working. Likewise, Llinksys has a Linux driver that I think might be the answer but I don't know how to install it.

Any help.

Thanks,
    Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Wireless Linux

Hi Bruce:

There aren't a lot of Linux gurus hanging around this Lounge, hence the lack of replies to your question. I would suggest you head over to these Linux newbie sites and take a look there. I recall reading something very recent about the latest kernel supporting wireless cards, so you're on the cutting edge here.

linuxnewbieguide.com
    firstlinux.com

Sorry I couldn't help more - I use a modified linux distro as a server but haven't delved further into the desktop environment than to install Mandrake 8.1 on one PC to see what it looked like.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. You're right about the new distributions being more wireless friendly. I downloaded Red Hat 7.3 and also Mandrake 8.2 and both picked the wireless pcmcia card up during installation. Now if I could just get the word processors to recognize the floppy drive, I'd be all set.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce,

Did you know that, in linux, you have to "mount" removable drives in order to access them? That includes floppies and zips.

The syntax is

$mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

($ preceeding a command means that you can run it as a regular user. If # proceeds, it means that you must be the root or super user.)

I would suggest that you run either the
    $ mount
    command without parameters to view the brief help for the command, or
    $ man mount
    for the online manual for the command.

Remember that you must unmount the filesystem before you remove the disk. The syntax is
    $ umount /mnt/floppy

In addition to the newbie sites Keely suggests, you should also try to find and subscribe to the mailing list for your local LUG or Linux Users Group. There are a lot of true experts there, and you can learn a lot.