New Lounger
    Thanks

Code 29 (XP Pro 2002)

All,
    I recently replaced 98 with XP to try to resolve connection problems with my ISP, and it appears to have worked. Current problems are that XP has "lost" the following according to the Device Manager: COM1, LPT3 (to an HP DeskJet 712C), ES1869 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM), and Standard Game Port. I get the message "This device is disabled because the firmware of the device did not give it the required resources. (Code 29)". None of the items are operational. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks in advance,
    wxdog

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Code 29 (XP Pro 2002)

The Device Has Been Disabled, you may need XP drivers for these items.

This is for Windows 95 but may be the same http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q134475

Also try Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager (Q125174)http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;q125174

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Probably your computer was made before 2000, so installation of Windows XP was not recommended.

However, you can make your computer work, configuring all devices manually. First of all, visit websites of all your parts makers, starting from motherboard (BIOS update), and look for WinXP updated drivers.

After that, open device manager and remove all problem devices (writing down the list of them). Then from Control Panel | Add new hardware wizard install those devices (do not use AutoDetect) with new drivers (if applicable). If resource conflict persists, choose another resource configuration from the list.

COM1 is usually disabled when it was not used. Install LPT3 manually and then assign printer to it.
    Joystick port will be configured automatically when proper audio driver will be installed.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've looked for a way to upgrade my BIOS and have used the Unicore utility to uncover the info that my BIOS is Compaq #####. I haven't found anything on the Compaq/HP site to help with upgrading the BIOS. The XP troubleshooter hints that the BIOS may have turned off the devices.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

...if you're not happy playing with BIOS settings, find the section where you can load the Default Values. That will certainly turn back on COM and LPT. If not, browse to the section which lists them and Enable.
    Make sure the CMOS battery is not low or exhausted.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Compaq webpage
    http://www.compaq.com/support/files/
    is still working. Choose your computer from the available options and also operating system (WinXP).
    You can find some drivers and ROMPAQs (BIOS updates).