3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Long Footnote Question (Word 2000)

I'm running into footnote problems in Word and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. Just starting an article. The first footnote runs seven lines. Though it occurs early enough on the page that I would expect the computer simply to shrink the body of the text accordingly, instead it runs the note onto the next page. My second note should appear on the third or fourth page but actually shows up at the bottom of the next page.

Any suggestions.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Long Footnote Question (Word 2000)

There is a useful item in the WordFAQ site: FootnoteOnDiffPage. It mentions methods for preventing a footnote to split, and for ensuring that a footnote appears on the same page as the reference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Long Footnote Question (Word 2000)

I'm pretty skeptical about the exact line spacing solution suggested above. Try a couple of things first: 1) Make sure Tools/Options/Compatibility is not set to an earlier version of Word. We usually set it to Word 2000 here to fix this problem, but in light of the MVP article, I hesitate to make a blanket statement to that effect. 2) Check File/Page Setup/Margins and make sure that the space for the header and footer is LESS than the space for the top and bottom margins. If they are the same, or the space for the header and footer are larger, footnotes can end up on the wrong page. 3) Make sure the text of the footnotes is in the Footnote text style. If they are in something else (usually if they are, they're in Normal), they can roll to the wrong page.

Hope this helps.

Lee Morgan