New Lounger
    Thanks

System Beep in NT4 SP6

Does anyone know how to modify the volume of the default system beep in Windows NT4 SP6?

We've just had an office move and we've managed to get management to agree to have the PCs on the desktop rather than underneath them. This saves us the trouble of having to crawl around at people's feet to fix/replace the boxes and also prevents problems caused by cables being kicked out etc.

The problem now is that the default PC system beep is too loud and driving the users to distraction. It was muted somewhat by the desk previously but is now very much in their face. I'm reluctant to disable the device, as it does serve a purpose, (and I've seen the system warning from NT when I go to disable it that doing so "may leave the system in an unusable state").

So what I want to do is make it quieter.

I've had a dig around the registry and found a few references to the system beep volume for individual applications or services but not a generic system-wide one. I've tried a few Google searches, too, but either my search criteria were flawed or there's nothing relevant out there.

I don't really want to visit 100+ PCs to implement whetever fix is suggested so I hope to create a .REG file and distribute it via email, asking people to run it themselves and reboot the box if necessary.

Does anyone have any ideas or insight into how this can be achieved?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

Thanks

Re: System Beep in NT4 SP6

Is this the default 'beep' as listed in Control Panel > Sounds & Multimedia?

You could always tell users to just delete 'ding.wav' to get rid of it altogether, or tell them to go to the Sounds setup and make sure "Show volume control' is selected - then they can set their own volume.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.3 KB, 0 views)

Thanks

If having the speaker icon is a viable solution, the registry tweak to make sure it is displayed is here:

Windows 2000 FAQ 14411

New Lounger
    Thanks

The sound drivers haven't been installed so there are no sound schemes to amend. The small format Compaqs that we have (Deskpro EN 733) use the same internal speaker(s?) to produce the system beep as any of the .WAV etc sounds when the multimedia drivers are installed.

The corporate machine build standard is not to have these drivers installed, so I'd like to find a solution that doesn't depend on this if possible, (not least because of the fact that I can't really avoid having to visit all of the machines to implelment it).

I've managed to export a registry fragment that changes the startup option of the Beep device from System to Manual, but I can't come up with a method of turning off the Beep other than visiting the machine, running the Devices applet in Control Panel and pressing the Stop button on the dialog box.

Close, but no cigar yet...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Managed it!!, Although it took two files rather than one.

The first is a .REG file to change the startup status of the System Beep from System to Manual:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesB eep]
    "Type"=dword:00000001
    "Start"=dword:00000003
    "Group"="Base"
    "ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
    "Tag"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesB eepEnum]
    "0"="RootLEGACY_BEEP0000"
    "Count"=dword:00000001
    "NextInstance"=dword:00000001

and the second was a simple batch file to turn off the beep itself:

cmd /c net stop beep

Voila - the end of system beeps.

If you want to restart the beep, reword the batch file with "Start" in place of "Stop" and the beeps will begin again.

My users appear very pleased and I'm relieved at the end of the pleas for quiet.