Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with IMAP setup (O2k SR1a XP Home)

Hi,
    I am running Office 2k, Outlook 2k SR1a and XP Home, and fairly current on updates. For a long time I used Exchange and POP3 for my office mail and Outlook Express for home mail. All worked great. We had a problem at work and went to IMAP vs. the POP3. When I set up the Outlook mail account with IMAP it sets up in a separate grouping than Personal Folders.

This has a variety of consequences:
    1. Outlook opens in Personal Folders, annoying but I can click to Work folders where the inbox is,
    2. Contacts only show in Personal Folders, not Work folders, Address book is right but sloppy vs. the POP setup. I hate it being not in personal Folders.
    3. If someone wants a reply to a message and I agree it goes into the Personal Folder Outbox, does not send and hangs the sending system until I delete it.
    4. I set up an IMAP account on OE while trying to figure this out. I made that the default. I can't find a setup to get it back to Outlook. It probably asked and I said don't ask again.

Help and/or suggestions are very much appreciated. Are there specific fixes for the problems? Is it more systemic and a problem with IMAP being less user friendly than Exchange? Is it our ser4ver/system? Am I a dolt? (A lot of agreements to the latter are not appreciated by the way.) I am off site and out of state so it is not practical to get support from the office.

I am getting a new system in a day or so with XP. I will be building from scratch. I have a lot of crap on my system, but I like it. Any suggestion on an order to install or methodology or some document to review to do it correctly?

Thanks for any and all help.

Regards,

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with IMAP setup (O2k SR1a XP Home)

Hmmm...perhaps reviewing some of the information at http://www.slipstick.com will help you.

(Otherwise, I'm not sure how to resolve your issue--sorry.)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Problem with IMAP setup (O2k SR1a XP Home)

Two sets of folders is how IMAP in outlook works. You can enable the work folder to use as an address book. Right click on the folder, choose properties and set it to use as an address book.

i'm pretty sure the message should send from the personal fodlers outbox, not the work one. Any errors in the send receive dialog?

To reset OL to default, go to IE's tools | internet options, programs tab. Change the mail client to outlook.

When i travel, i use OE's IMAP because it's faster. But the server is not set up for relaying from the machine and i can't send using OE. I need to connect using OWA or Outlook. The error is about permissions or replaying, i think. (I'll find out on the weekend.) We're working on security issues so we can send via IMAP.