Star Lounger
    Thanks

sharing Outlook (2002)

I have a dual boot system with Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. I installed Office XP on both operating systems and have one outlook.pst stored on a third partition so that both can access it depending on which I boot into.

This has worked fine for a few months, but now I get the following error message in WindowsXP...
    "Cannot start microsoft outlook. Unable to display the selected folder or item. The file ...outlook.pst is in use and could not be accessed. Close any applications that is using this file and try again."

I've not got anything else running, or using the outlook.pst file. One fix was to move the .pst file into a sub folder - Outlook then can't find it and asks where is the path to the pst file. However don't want to have to do this regualarly. Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: sharing Outlook (2002)

is it only winxp's side that complains?

is outlook/office installed on a shared partition too?

If it's only on the winxp side, try clearing the win2k pagefile when you shut it down - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;EN-US;Q182086

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, this does only happen when in WindowsXP.

I have separate installations of OfficeXP - so effectively have two separate computers.

Thanks for the suggested registry fix, I'll make the change and see what happens.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fantastic, looking good! I'm writing this email in WindowsXP and I was able to open Outlook and read my pst file as normal. I'll go back into Windows2000 and test it a couple of times - thanks a lot.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not so fantastic now! Booted into WindowsXP this morning and can't access my pst file within Outlook. I wondered if I needed to clear the XP page file too, so have also made the change in XP's registry, but after a reboot still get the same error message i.e. "...file in use..."

Any other ideas?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could something have happened to change your permissions? When you log onto XP can you browse to that folder and manipulate it - say, rename it?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, you could be on the right lines here - I have my own documents, including Outlook.pst on a separate hard drive formatted with FAT32 so file permissions don't matter (allows me to access data from the Windows98 partition too). However, the path to outlook.pst is docsoutlookoutlook.pst and the folder outlook is set as read only, and therefore I can't rename or change the folder name, yet I can rename the .pst file. If I right click on the folder in windowsXP explorer and uncheck the "read only" setting it does clear, but if I then right click on the folder again the "read only" radio button is ticked again?

Maybe I need to clear the read only attribute in DOS, but wonder why XP won't make the change hold. I would have thought that as long as the outlook.pst file is not set to read only, Microsoft Outlook should open? The mystery continues!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just booted back into Windows 2000 Pro and see that my outlook folder is not set as read only on this operating system, and like before, Outlook works fine.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

the solution

Thanks for the suggestions - it turned out to be my anti virus software that had a lock on the outlook.pst file. I use Command's F-Prot and although I had the latest version 4.64.3, this was causing the trouble. When I uninstalled it, Outlook opened as it should. I'm now testing their beta version 4.70 and this is working OK with OutlookXP. They've not seen this problem before though?