New Lounger
    Thanks

Word Merge file

I am using Office 97 on a computer with Win98 and when merging a excel file with 3847 records, I find that some records are missing, while others have data inserted from the previous record. I have looked at the excel file and can find no errors. The word merge file consists of the following fields; Last, first, middle, suffix names, title, company address, company department, city, state, zip codes, phone, fax, Email address, and about 3 additional fields with membership data. I am about to go crazy trying to find the reason for skipping names. Any help will be appreciated!!!

Bob W

Re: Word Merge file

Is it possible to get a copy of the Excel file? It sounds like you're missing some fields in the database. Are you sorting the database in Excel before merging?

BAM

If you are using an Excel worksheet for a mail merge data source in Word, there are some specific specifications the Excel database/list needs for it to work properly.

This article from the MS Word MVP FAQ site may shed some light on what you are missing:
    http://mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm

Take a look at using Excel as a Datasource.

Also, here is a general FAQ on mail merge in Word that might be helpful as well:
    http://mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm
    ~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Cannot send the file because of the information. The file is rather large and there are more fields than I need. I did sort it by last name because that is the way I want the catalog to read

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I will go there now and see what I can learn.

Bob W

Sorry, I can't help you any further. I still suspect you have garbage in your database in Excel.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

This rings a faint bell from way back. Are any of the column headings in your Data file alphanumeric? iirc they have to be either numeric or letters, but not a mixture of both, or you get odd results when merging.
    A long shot, but....

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Just a thought. I know you said you looked in the Excel worksheet. Do you have any paragraph marks within a field that is acting up--i.e. two lines within the same record? What would happen if you deleted a few suspect entries & retyped them in Excel.

Hope this helps.