New Lounger
    Thanks

multi boot Win XP and ME on separate drives (Windows XP Home Ed)

I have been reading the various threads of multibooting and I am not quite sure as to whether or not I can do what I am thinking about. Please bear in mind I am not a computer whiz, I just like to see what I can do and how often I can crash it. I have the following system:

Dell dimensions 8100
    Pentium 4
    Windows Version XP Home Edition
    256 RDRAM

I purchased a Western Digital 100 GB hard drive to replace the Quantum 40 GB hard drive that came with the system. Here is what I was wondering if I could do: I have Windows XP installed on the Western Digital drive and Windows ME installed on the Quantum drive. What I want to be able to do is use Windows XP as the primary operating system, but to be able to get into Windows ME with some ease so that kids can play games and not mess with Windows XP.
    I am wondering if I can multiboot these two drives and what the process for that is. I have wondered if I put the Western Digital drive at the end of the hard drive ribbon cable and the Quantum drive in the middle and just boot up the computer and see what happens. But I thought the collective knowledge of this forum might save me some hassles. So let me know what you think. Thank you in advance. lfritzmt

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: multi boot Win XP and ME on separate drives (Windows XP Home Ed)

To which connector on the ribbon cable hard drive is connected doesn't matter. What matters - jumper setting. Firmly remove yor hard drives and you will see jumper next to cable connectors and a sticker with jumper settings on the side of the drive. Jumpers on both drives are probably set on "Cable Select" (CS) position.
    Make sure you have your Windows ME and Windows XP Installation CDs ready.
    Put jumper to Master position on your 100 GB hard drive (with Windows XP) - on Western Digital drives it is usually 5 to 6 position; and Slave position on your 40 GB hard drive (with Windows ME) - on Quantum drives you usually need to remove the jumper. Connect both drives to the same controller (ribbon cable), boot the computer and make sure BIOS recognizes the drives (booting to BIOS or, if prompted, accepting changes).
    Then follow this procedure, choosing to "Repair Windows ME Installation" rather than installing a new one "on top" of existing Windows ME installation (now on D: drive).

Good luck!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: multi boot Win XP and ME on separate drives (Windows XP Home Ed)

Thank you for your advice. Things went fairly smoothly. I am grateful.