3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Start learning VBA (Word 2000 SR1)

I have used Word extensively and create macros by recording.
    There are times when I would like to use VBA to expand or create macros myself.
    Do any of you know where I could get information to start from scratch as my knowledge is rather on the dangerous side and I actually don't know how to read the macros (sad to admit!).
    Lynden

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Start learning VBA (Word 2000 SR1)

Take a look at the WordFAQ site. Under FAQs (Macros/VBA tab) and Tutorials (Books tab) you'll find useful information and links.

Thanks

I agree that the Word MVP FAQ site is a great starting place. See Books about Microsoft Word (addbalance.com/word/wordbooks.htm) for comments made about various books on the Word newsgroups on the Microsoft newsserver. Howard Kaikow maintains an annotated list on his site as well.

You may also want to take a look at Web Resources - VBA.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

I think the Books and VB boards probably also have some suggestions.

There really are two different things to learn about VBA in Word. The first is the names of all the different pieces and parts of Word, your documents, and so on. If you are in the VB Editor and press F2, you get a tool called the Object Browser which can be helpful in exploring, but really is not a full explanation of what's there. Often recording a macro is the best way to drill down into the object model and get a starting point for exploration.

The second part is the Visual Basic language. If you are editing a recorded macro, one of the most common things you need to do is add a loop so that an action you recorded will be performed repeatedly. For learning this, a general reference on Visual Basic/VBA is helpful. But you still need to understand the object model so that you have a way to stop your loop from running.

And of course, the Lounge is a great resource, full of samples of working code to tackle specific problems, and generous volunteers posting more all the time.

Thanks

One other warning is to be sure that you have learned Word (without programming) thoroughly, especially styles and the replace function before you start trying to really do much programming. Otherwise, you'll spend weeks or longer trying to write a program to do something in Word that is already there!

I would recommend, at a minimum, going through the tutorials in the Intermediate Users Guide. (see sig block)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin