New Lounger
    Thanks

Lock Project in Word 97

I know this question has been asked before but never really answered. I've received template projects in Word 97 for which I cannot see the code. Instead of asking for a password, a message box entitled "Project Locked" pops up that reads "Project is unviewable." A previous answser referred to an add-in only available to Word 2000. I know it can be done in 97, can't someone tell me how? I might add that at my job I only have Office 97 Professional Edition. I have never seen the Developers Edition (maybe there's something in there?) or Visual Basic. Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Lock Project in Word 97

Hi,

Two possiblities come to mind:

(1) If an add-in template is currently loaded, and you go to the VB Editor from any other file (or even with no files open), you'll see the name of the add-in template in the project window, but will get a messsage saying the project is unviewable, if you try to view its code. To view it, you need to open the add-in template file itself.

(2) If you create a template of any kind in Word 2000, and password/lock the project in Word 2000, then you won't be able to view the code in Word 97 (at least in my experience). I was told this has something to do with differences in security features between Word 2000 and Word 97 - nice, huh? In this case you'll need Word 2000 to view the project.

Hope this helps,
    Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lock Project in Word 97

Gary, thanks so much. This was driving me crazy!