New Lounger
    Thanks

Page N of N (not M) - Word 2000 on XP (2000/9.0.2720)

Having behaved fine for some weeks after installation, Word suddenly developed an irritating problem. When I use Page X of Y in a footer, it displays perfectly on the screen but prints evaluating No. of Pages as Page No. for all pages. Uninstall, defrag and reinstall of Office made no difference but then I noticed the problem only affects one user account on the machine - mine. Borrowing a neighbouring account's normal.dot didn't help - any ideas?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Page N of N (not M) - Word 2000 on XP (2000/9.0.2720)

Let me add my 2cents worth: I've been having a client with the same problem. Only it's in Word 97, NT 4.0. He would send me the document, I would fix it I would send it back, it would look fine on his computer for a second and then switch. What his was doing was 1 of 1, 2 of 1, 3 of 1 etc. Once I had him do Alt +F9 then all the formatting worked. I'm just curious though we found a correction WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON ;-) (yep, I'm frustrated!)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you are saying it displays 1 of 10, 2 of 10, 3 of 10, etc., but prints 1 of 1, 2 of 2, 3 of 3, this is a known issue in Word 2000. The SR1A update will fix it.

Lee Morgan

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The number of the last page in the document (the value of M in "page N of M") is a field. ALT+F9 updates the values of fields. One of the options in Word is to update all fields when a document is printed (as an aside, this is why Word asks if you want to save your changes even though all you did was print the document).

I suspect that this is the explanation for r2a1

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm still puzzling over this. After I e-mailed you all, my client e-mailed back and said he did a cold reboot (on my recommendation) and when he went back into the document it was back to the page 1of 1, page 2 of 1, page 3 of 1, etc. Again Alt +F9 did it. But, here is my question: Is there possibly a setting in his tools or options (I've looked, I've searched) that could be causing this? Or probably just Word has gone corrupt? - Thanks for any thoughts (BTW, he and I are using the same SR update, too...)- Renee

Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you pull down the Tools -> Options menu item, you

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Renee:
    A few comments.
    1. Lee has given the answer for Word 2000.
    2. F9 updates fields; Alt+F9 switches between showing field results & field codes. However, in page layout view, toggling a field will cause the document to repaginate.

Both Word 97 & 2000 had this bug (I'm not sure about 2002, you'd think they'd learn after 2 strikes). You can read about the fixes at <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm">