New Lounger
    Thanks

CD-RW missing from My Computer (XP (PRO))

I booted up my computer a few days ago and the CD-RW didn't come up. A check of My Computer does not even show that it recognizes the CD. The Device Manager has a ? by the CD name.

The Knowledge Base says my CD is XP compatible and a driver in on the installation CD but that doesn't do much good.

Seems like in 95 there was a particular file that needed to be in the boot drive for the computer to recognize the CD. Is there something like this for XP. Or does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance

Ray Banks

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: CD-RW missing from My Computer (XP (PRO))

If your CD-RW worked before, it seems like hardware failure. Check are all cables firmly connected to the device and motherboard. Then boot to BIOS. If your CD-RW does not show on the list and warranty is expired, consider to buy a new one (fixing the old CD-RW can cost almost the same).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your response. I found something this morning that will probably fix it.

What I did was remove Adaptec CD Creator 4. Apparently this messes up the registry. I found the problem on the Langa List this morning. There is a KB reference

http://support.microsoft.com/search/previe...b;en-us;Q314060

if anyone else has a similar problem. XP doesn't like CD Creator 4 and this problem occurs when you remove that program.

I'll try the fix tonight and let evryone know how it worked.

Ray Banks

New Lounger
    Thanks

It worked. A simple repair to the registry and the CD is working again.