Star Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming Computer (XP Pro)

My machine has XP Pro, and logs on to Windows on an account that uses initials for the username, and the password of my choice

While trying to rename the computer in System Properties, when I hit ok to change the name, I got prompted for the user name and password of "an account authorized to rename this computer in this domain."

I typed in the U/N & P/W of the workstation (same values for this user as set in the server, which is running NT4).I got an "access denied" error message.

The user has "Administrator" privileges in XP. (Typing in "Administrator" and its P/w was unsuccessful as well, although a different error message as I recall. That is probably because "Administrator" has never been setup to join that domain?)

When I tried entering some alternate users on the domain, I got the following error message:

Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again

So to summarize, if I enter the U/N and P/W of an account on THIS PC - both of them with full Administrator privileges - I get an "access denied" message without explanation. If I enter the U/N and P/W of another PC/account on this domain (including the Administrator account on the server), I get the above "Multiple connections" error message.

None of this is logical to me. Despite the error message above, I am NOT trying to connect to any shared resource with more than one user name. I am trying to CHANGE that name, once and for all.

Overall, this Windows network security stuff seems much more a hassle than a help. Changing a PC's name seems so innocuous. (We're a 5 PC network, for crying out loud, not a Fortune 500 company with thousands of computers).

Many thanks for your help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Renaming Computer (XP Pro)

Restart the computer. Logon as Administrator. Change Computer Name. Reboot.

If it doesn't work disconnect network cable and repeat the process. If your Administrator built-in account password is invalid, logon from account with Administrative privileges and reset the Administrator account password. Make sure to check "Password never expires" and uncheck "User must change the password...". Then reboot and repeat the process.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

>>Restart the computer. Logon as Administrator. Change Computer Name. Reboot.

This didn't work. Same error message as before

>>If it doesn't work disconnect network cable and repeat the process

This is a laptop - I undocked it so as to be off the network. It still prompted me for a U/N and P/W of an account authorized to rename a computer on this domain. When I enter in one or more alternatives - everyone I can think of - I get an error message that the domain can't be contacted. So doing it offline doesn't work.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Try to change from "Member of Domain" to "Member of Workgroup" first, rename computer and change back to "Member of Domain".

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Tried that already. While the name of the computer was evidently changed, upon rebooting I could no longer log on to Windows (not the network, mind you, the Windows log on itself). The user name and p/w for this account were suddently not working. So I couldn't even boot up Windows under that account, never mind access the network.

To get out of that, I had to log on to Windows using Administrator, then run System Restore to put things back to where they were.

Thanks for your attempts to help . . .

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If this is a Company machine it may be set up that YOU can not changes the name. It may need to be done by some one from the IT department. A lot of companies have setting on their machines to prevent some settings from being made by the user.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are a 5 PC network. we have no "IT dpt" - if we do, I guess, I'm it. I did not do any settings that would prevent users from changing things - if things need to be changed, they come to me.

All I did was mistakenly hit "ok" to some gobbleygook "Full User Name" when I set up this workstation's account. Now it's a freaking federal case to rename the computer.

Sorry, my frustration is not with you, it's with this overkill Micrsoft networking security. This kind of stuff may make sense for IBM, but not for a small network where I'm the only one who knows or is inclined to mess around with settings

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Remember that the <font color=red>"overkill Micrsoft networking security"</font color=red> is to meet US Government requirements and a lot of bigger companies have the same requirements.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, if it's required by law, I guess that's one thing.

Your other point echoes the point I made - it may be useful, even essential for big companies. It's a PITA for smaller ones, and I've always heard that there are many more smaller companies than large ones, small business is the engine of the American economy, etc.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The last chance: run SYSPREP on this machine and re-enter all setup information.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

See attachment. It is rather long winded.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Joe