New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hi,<br><br>A newbies Q. as my

This might not be a by-the-book answer, but it's my interpretation.

1 - The computer should recognize all domains which it can see on the subnet. This does not necessarily indicate that the local administrator will have access to those resources. Just that they are being advertised as available. If you try and access them, and the domain restricts access to domain users, then you shouldn't be able to actually make use of them.

2 - If you can access it, you have everything you need. You should be able to browse to it through the Map Network Drive option (Tools->Map Network Drive). If you're viewing it in network neighborhood/my network places, you should also be able to right-click and "map network drive" (again assuming you have adequate authority).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Network PC Visibility and Non-domain Drive Mapping

<P ID="edit" class=small>Edited by WyllyWylly on 27-Jun-02 00:23.</P>Hi,

A newbies Q. as my background is in NT4 - we have here a Win2000 client network.

1. When a PC is logged in as a local Administrator, how come it can see all the other PCs in Network Neighborhood?

2. I want to map from a PC in the domain to this PC which is not in the domain - how can I do that?
    I can search and see it & access it also - but how can I map a letter to it.

Thanks!

m.q.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network PC Visibility and Non-domain Drive Mapping

As with NT, also, you can specify a different user name and password when mapping the drive. For the user name, if you have problems, use the following format:

<pre>NET USE X: someserversomeshare /USEROMAINusername</pre>

-Mark