2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't send email (2000)

I used to be able to send and recieve email using Outlook - no problem. Now I don't get the option to send but I can recieve mail. My out box is filling up and not getting sent.

Thanks

Re: Can't send email (2000)

Are you on a mail server, or direct dial-up to your ISP?
    What do you mean by you don't get the option to send? That 'Send' is not an option under Tools, or your connection is being refused?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This is on an dial up to ISP. When I click send/receive Outlook goes through the process of checking for new mail but no longer looks for mail to send. It always used to and I dont remember changing anything?
    Is it something to do with the smtp server?

Thanks

It would be worth checking the settings you have in the account - something may have gone slightly awry.

Otherwise, drag all the items in your outbox into another folder and send a fresh test email to see if something in one of the messages.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this matters in IMO mode. But you might check the number of items in your sent items folder. There's a limit - that I don't recall - to how many items the folder can hold. On Exchange, anyway, when this fills up you can create mail, but it sits in the outbox until there is room for it to mvoe into sent items.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I too have had a similar? problem. I have two email accounts on my Outlook. I work offline and do Send/Receive, rather than stay connected. Home mail goes fine thru my ISP. Where I have problems is mail thru by business Exchange Server, which does not seem to like certain SMTP addresses. That is, mail *always* goes if it addressed to someone on the Global Address Book from the Exchange Server BUT, if I add a SMTP address to my local address book and send a mail to that person, the mail will sometimes "hang" in the Outbox (altho' mysteriously, it will also sometimes appear in the Sent Items folder and I get a "Mail Received" receipt, ie sent but not sent!) I've tried re-entering the ENTIRE message (including the address !) with no change. I'll also sometimes get an idiot message, presumably from the Exchange Server: "Couldn't Open the Information Store", whatever the hell THAT means... Most frustrating is the inconsistency, therefore hard to test / diagnose... Any thoughts? Thanks !

- DB