Star Lounger
    Thanks

Email and Access (Access XP)

Hi,

I have approx 450 parents in my PTA database, with email addresses that we wish to email to on a regular basis. This is primarily to cut down on postage costs.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a bulk email program that is compatible with Access (i.e I can export the email addresses to it) and is reasonably cheap!
    I want to be able to email the same text letter to each person but avoid the problem of everyone seeing everyone else's email address in the to: box.

Thanks....Peter

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Email and Access (Access XP)

Outlook can be programmed from Access. You'll find examples on this Forum.

You can send a separate e-mail to each parent, so each parent sees only his/her name in the To: box.
    Or you can send one e-mail to all parents, and put the e-mail addresses in the Bcc: box. In that case, the recipient can't see to which persons the mail was sent. (Be aware, though, that the size of the message increases with the number of recipients).

I don't have suggestions for other e-mail programs; perhaps somebody else will.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You might also want to look at Word's Mail Merge capability - it lets you do a merge to email, and generates a separate copy for each person. The advantage is you don't have to do any programming - the Access to Outlook direct will require you to do at least a little bit. On the other hand, either approach means you have to send ~450 emails to your ISP, and if that's on a dial-up connection, you may not be thrilled. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the advice, I will have a go at both options.

Peter

Lounger
    Thanks

Here in the UK, it is illegal to send emails to individuals unless, 1 - they have given explicit consent, or 2 - they are not registered with the EMPS (Email Preference Service).

I would seriously recommend that anybody who has any need to send out any form of mailing piece checks with the relevant professional body first, just to ensure they don't end up with a hefty fine, and possibly lose the 'licence' to hold customer data (even paper records count in the UK).

I know that for some companies this can be a costly exercise to implement, but cheap options include using external bureau's who do this sort of work for a living, resulting in lower overheads (no infrastructure etc to establish).

You will also need to think about if you are sending messages abroad - the Data Protection principles of the receiving country, more often than not, take precendence over local principles (unless local principles aim a lot higher).

Sorry for the more serious note, but this is an important point (oh, and in the UK - Ignorance is not a defence!!)

Thanks