New Lounger
    Thanks

Word crash (2000)

Windows 98. One day Word broke. Got "insufficient resources" or something (I have 256 Mb memory, no other apps running). Got this opening an existing document, or just starting Word. This error crashes the system - can't ctrl-alt-del kill any process - have to power-off-power-on.
    Among the things I've tried: uninstalling Office 2000, uninstalling Works 2000, runNorton Anti-Virus (latest defs) on the whole disk, and individual docs, run Norton clean registry and everything else Norton, re-installed Office 2000 - same error. Same drill again, this time re-installing Works - same error. Same drill, uninstall HP 932, re-install Works - same error.
    I'm reluctant to re-install Windows 98, but I guess that's preferable to formatting the disk.
    Thanks for any help!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word crash (2000)

Hi reckard.

Try my steps at:
    http://www.thewordexpert.com/word.htm

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word crash (2000)

Thank you very much. As far as I can tell, the problem was my normal.dot - after doing all the "remove completely" steps you provided (including the ones from Microsoft) and a re-install of Word 2000 and the first error-free execution of Word I've seen in days, I put my old normal.dot back and ... crash.
    (I had already Removed Word before I received your reply so I wasn't able to start with your "try normal.dot first" advice.)
    One minor problem - after deleting all the files Microsoft listed, the re-install complained about one of them - something like "error registering something40.dll" - I clicked on "Ignore" and, so far anyway, things seem OK.
    Thanks again.