New Lounger
    Thanks

"Connect" performed illegal operation

I'm doing multiple restarts a day because while on line, if I stay on for any length beyond 10-15 minutes, I get a dialog box with the MS flag followed by "Connect". Inside the box it say, "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. See program vendor...." There is a "detail" button that produces arcane numbers & symbols. I'm running WIN 98 SP2, AT&T's Connection Manager, probably version 5.0 (they do make it uncertain if that's the connect Mgr # or the Help #). Once that box appears, IT CANNOT BE GOTTEN RID OF EXCEPT BY RESTARTING. It can be dragged "out of the way". Driving me more crazier than I am already. One more symptom. Just before it appears, you get impression the computer started something heavy-duty, resource-intensive in the background, 'cause it slows down badly, mouse hard to drag, etc. I don't multitask while on line aside from e-mail & browser. I tried to use Woody's "print screen capture" to get this board a picture of the "details" screen (bless you Woody for that trick!), but i can't seem to paste it here or on Attach A File. (I don't know how to edit out the rest of the picture to reduce the file size.) What is causing this? How to I get rid or/change this? On these cryptic messages, how do you ID the "program" so you can go back to the vendor? Is there any clues in the "details" for amateurs like me? Many thanks. leif

jmatt

Re: "Connect" performed illegal operation

http://www.helponthe.net/news/042000.html
    ** Periodic Hard Drive Maintenance **

To troubleshoot and avoid:

ileacy

>>Once that box appears, IT CANNOT BE GOTTEN RID OF EXCEPT BY RESTARTING. It can be dragged "out of the way". <<
    Try this, Right-Click the title bar and select "Close", it should get it out of the way.

>>I tried to use Woody's "print screen capture" to get this board a picture of the "details" screen (bless you Woody for that trick!), but i can't seem to paste it here or on Attach A File. (I don't know how to edit out the rest of the picture to reduce the file size.)
    What is causing this?<<

After your pressed either PrtScrn (capture screen) or Alt-PrtScrn (capture active window) to copy an image to your clipboard. You need to open an image editor, eg. Start|Programs|Accesory|Paint opens Microsoft which should be installed on almost any W98 system. Once you have paint running, then.

a)Click Edit|Paste from the Paint Menu. If you get a message that "The image in the clipboard is larger than the bitmap Would you like the bitmap enlarged?", click "Yes".
    The image should be copied to Paint and opened in its image editor.

b)Click the "Select" icon on the image editor toolbar at the left of the screen. It looks like a dotted rectangle and should be at the top right of the toolbar. If you are not sure the tool-tip "Select" should appear when you hover your mouse over the icon.

c)Zoom and pan the image until the area you want to keep is visible in the edit window.

d)Left click on the top left corner of the image area you want, and then, while keeping the left mouse key depressed, drag the rectangle over the area you want to keep. Release when you have the complete image selected. If you have problems setting the selection area, just press the "Esc" key and start the selection process again.

e)Click the following actions from the Paint menu. Wait a few seconds between each activity. Edit|Copy, File|New, Edit|Paste, File|Save As. You are now ready to create a new cropped image for the lounge or wherever.

f)Type a new file name into the file name box (eg "tempimg"). Select file type "Graphic Interchange Format(GIF)". Click "Save". Ignore any error warning messages about loss of colour depth. Write down the full path and file name of the new GIF file you have just created.

Thanks

I use AT&T Worldnet, but I created a dial-up networking connection for it instead of using AT&T's connection manager. I don't know what I'm missing, feature-wise, but I've never seen that message!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re:

Dear jmatt: Still getting the error message, just frequency is way down. And, no, right clicking on the dialog box title bar and clicking on close does NOT get rid of the warning message as per ileacy's reply just below yours! tried all of that - had "only" 168" ~temps. did the recycle bin, scandisk, & defrag. (all with all programs off via ctrl-alt-dlt) Boy, did I have a time getting all programs to close - and UPS snuck back and interrupted defrag. Then did Phil Rabichow's maintenance per Post#: 8799 / re: 7791, except didn't do .bak or .bk or .old deletions. Did regclean.exe, scanreg thing from DOS, did msconfig but didn't have the nerve to delete much (he needs to explain what some of those programs are - do I take what looks like the mouse off startup?!?). don't have tweak UI installed yet. If I have the MS Resources Kit, I can't find it. At least the grequency of the problem is down to once in 2 days and I thank you. any one have more ideas? Thank you, leif P.S. I think my machine is now faster! I have to shut down now to get rid of that pesky error message....