New Lounger
    Thanks

Performance Issues (2000/9.0.4402 SR-1)

I have an Access 2000 based client/server application with a back end DB that resides on a network server and a front end application that resides on the end user's workstation (All NT 4.0 boxes). The back end only has tables of data. The size of the back end is less than 1 Meg. The front end links to the back end through the standard linked tables format in Access.

The problem is the performance of the front end. If both the front end and back end reside on the same machine, there is no performance issue, but once the two reside on separate machines, the performance of the front end drops to an unacceptable level.

What things should I look at in the design of the DB that would improve or optimize the performance of this application?

Thanks,

BR

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Performance Issues (2000/9.0.4402 SR-1)

That depends on what you mean by "the performance drops". The usual suspects are large recordsets being used as the recordsource for forms and for the rowsource of combo/list boxes. Another is lack of indexes on fields that are frequently used as selection critieria or for sorting.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Performance Issues (2000/9.0.4402 SR-1)

A couple of other things in addition to what Mark suggested: One possibility is network congestion or problems - if you put the front-end on the server and run that copy, is it faster than running it from the workstation? Another possibility is multi-user considerations - as more users connect to the back-end, performance will slow down. It would also help to know what is slow - are you seeing performance problems in opening tables, forms or reports, and what sort of differences are you seeing? You will always see some drop in performance when you compare a single database running on a workstation to a split database with the data on a server - unless you are lucky enough to have a giga-bit LAN.
    Wendell