Thread: Word 97 bullets

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word 97 bullets

When I go into Bullets and Numbering to change the character for my bullet point, all I get are those blank squares, no matter which font I pick. What's wrong?
    Thanks!

KTYorke

Re: Word 97 bullets

I just want to make sure of how you're going about changing the characters of your bullets...
    Format> Bullets and Numbering> Customize button> Bullet button
    and with that each font you choose is nothing but boxes?

What fonts are listed?
    have fun

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, those are the steps I use, and no matter which font I choose, only boxes show up.

Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img]Word's bullets and numbering feature is very unstable. It is tied to registry entries that change unpredictably. The more a document using automatic bullets or numbering is edited, the more problems it causes in that document and on the system. It can result in corrupted documents and random application of bullets. This has to do with the Gallery concept.

If you tie your bullet organization to styles, you are likely to be able to keep your sanity. For more on how to do this see:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/WordsNumberingExplained.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Numbering/Wo...ngExplained.htm</A>
    For a template that does it the right way, see:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customizatio...mplatePart2.htm</A>

For more on styles, see:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm>http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm</A>

I don't know that this is your problem but strongly suspect. You could check to some extent by trying to open your document on a different computer. Hope this helps.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It does--thanks Chas![img]/w3timages/icons/yep.gif[/img]

BAM

Hi Angela,

First try resetting each Bullet to the default by selecting the preview (Gallery Position) in Format/Bullets and Numbering and clicking the Reset command at the bottom.

If that doesn't take care of it then it sounds like a little corruption in the Registry.

Exit Word and in the Registry, drill down to:
    Word 97:HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice8.0Word List
    Gallery Presets

The entire key can be deleted and Word will recreate it upon starting.

If you want to take a precaution before deleting the key, you can select it and go to Registry/Export Registry file and create a file for the selected branch. Should you want to add the key back, then all you have to do is double-click on the *.reg file you created and it will merge it back into the Registry.

Also, if you aren't familiar with editing the Registry, you should always take the necessary precautions prior to changing it. Take a look under the Registry Help and review or print the topics on "backing up the Registry" and "restoring the Registry"
    ~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll try it and see how it goes.[img]/w3timages/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

BAM

FWIW, primarily it is the numbering sequences that can become "spaghettied". A simple Bullet list doesn't really pose too much of a problem.

The main problem with numbered lists is when you are starting/stopping/restarting the numbering sequences. Using multiple numbered lists and/or complex Outline Numbering lists in a document can prove to be extremely difficult.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

Thanks

Unless, of course, you are using bullets instead of numbers in an Outline-numbered list. (Indented or different bullets depending on outline level.)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If all fails, try this.
    First do a quick check. Do Insert/symbol and select Windings font. If a majority of the displayed symbols are verticla rectangles then do the following:
    Close Word, Do: Start/Settings/Control Panel and double click on heyboard, Select the Language tab. The window should how United States 101.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Like everyone else, I suppose, I have the usual starting/stopping/restarting of numbering sequences, but I made a quick work-around by creating 2 macros called numberrestart and numbercontinue and putting buttons for these macros on the formatting toolbar (I use an up arrow and down arrow). So when I start a new numbered list and the numbering starts with anything but 1, I just click the up arrow. (No, I'm not adept enough at VBA to actually write the macros; I used macro record). The system works pretty well. Judging from other posts on this thread, however, I need to research numbering with styles. I use styles for everything else, but I haven't taken the time to get style numbering to work the way I want, perhaps because my macro buttons are so quick and easy. Maybe other loungers would find this trick helpful.

Fafner

Thanks

It depends on the use and how much editing what you are writing is going to get. I work in a law office where documents last *forever*. They are worked, reworked, paragraphs moved around, and then used as the basis for a new document. Numbering attached to styles is a requirement.

For a short letter that won't be re-used, or my daily To-Do list, it doesn't matter and I just use the buttons on the toolbar.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I'm not adept enough at VBA to actually write the
    macros; I used macro record)

I think you're on the right track. I do 95% of my "learning" by recording a macro and then opening up the Visual Basic Editor (VBE) and examining the entrails, as they say in polite society.

My code reflects this approach; it's not always elegant. However it DOES let me roll a new application out the door very quickly.