Lounger
    Thanks

ADODC component in VB.NET? (VB.NET)

I just start to try VB7/.NET version and feel strange that adodc component doesnt exist in the toolbox although it includes a lot of non-standard components in VB6. There is no more "Components" item in "Project" dropdown menu. I doubt there is a way to add adodc component like what VB6 does. There are some items similar to Data Environment components in Toolbox. Can someone tell me wether VB7 removes adodc component or changes to other format? If it is really removed I feel surprised and sad as it is more convenient than DE components when used.

David

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: ADODC component in VB.NET? (VB.NET)

I seems that many people have not really learn VB7 yet. This is the first time I posted my question without any reply for three days and the question is not a deep question.

I read some material including MSDN and realized that ADODC is now replaced by OleDbDataAdapeter object in "Data" category of the Toolbox in VB7/VB.NET. Well it is not only the name change to hide from whoever know much abt VB6, but also the method gets more complex (though assume it gets more powerful/functions). When double click OleDbDataAdapeter, it pops up the same tab-form as when click ConnectionString in VB6, but there is not Data Link File or UDL file connection function (I dont know why, as UDL file is very convenient to user/desinger to change DB file name/location). New SQL Builder seems better than doing previous RecordSource property in VB6, but I havent got time to learn how to use it except knowing one example from the ref material, which gives only "select ... from ..." - simplest query from single table, not helpul at all (yeah, the author should be a green hand too). To bind components to OleDbDataAdapeter is not as straight forward as before for adodc. You have to deal w/more objects and method and may be coding before to make a valid binding. E.g. to bind a Datagrid, you have to firstly have DataSet and DataView objs, then Dataview links to the DB table and Datagrid link to Dataview. Depending on your application, you may need to do some coding to bind the data in DB table to the cols in Datagrid. Anyway I guess it is not a very easy change for VB6 programmers to do the same things of what they used to do by adodc's.
    David

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

David,

Judging from the posts, most people on the board are VBA people- so VB does not get much of a look-in. Given that, there's probably not much .NET experience.

I work in VB myself- but if our site were to go .NET, it would be a ground-up rewrite.

Thanks for your info. As people come onto .NET, it will be useful to them.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Lounger
    Thanks

This lounge should have a seperate area for .NET in addition to the currrent MS Office and Windows sections. VB7 has had significant changes from VB6 and become a real software language. This makes more off track if still placed in MS Office section. It would look more logical if VB.NET under .NET section together with other sub-section like C#.NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, etc.
    Doese anyone know where I can get a better forum for .NET/VB.NET?
    David

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might also want to keep in mind that the USA is just coming off a 3-day national holiday, so many of those who normally contribute here and who DO have some familiarity with VB.Net might have been out of touch. Your suggestion about a separate forum has been discussed before, but the volume of .Net posts has not been high enough to justify the split. That may very well change as more people start to actually work with VB.Net as opposed to merely trying to learn it.
    Charlotte

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry for the delay...

You may have already found a solution, but FYI: VS.NET will allow you to use older VB COM components.

Create a new VB Windows Application
    Project | Add Reference...
    Select the COM tab and you should see Microsoft ADODC as an option

You can also open the Object Browser and use the Customize button to select, add, or remove COM components

HTH

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks a lot Mark.

I am just going to change back to VB6 for my work as there are so many things confused me to use adapter, dataset, datarelation object, etc without much time and useful reference material available.

I added ADO lib file what you suggested but dont know how to add adodc into the toolbox. So cannot see anychange in the toolbox. Can you tell me more abt this?
    Another question for Datagrid, I hvnt even found how to edit the Datagrid in Design window. "Edit" feature seems to be removed from VB7. But I couldnt figure out how to make simple changes such as column width, hide some cols, etc.

David

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

David,

We now have a .Net forum- for all the reasons you have mentioned.

I expect it will be quiet for a while. But I encourage you- and anyone else whith knowledge and experience- to ask and to contribute.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.