5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro and Plain text PW (Pro)

I have added an XP Pro PC to my mixed 95/98 peer network. Some 95 PCs can see the XP, others can't. None of the 98s can see the XP. I remember an old network where a new 98 couldn't log on to the NT server and the reason involved the 98 sending encrypted passwords. The solution was to send the pw in plain text, but I can't find anything in Win98 to allow that. Any thoughts?
    As for the 95s, some posts have said to add NetBeuie to XP. How do I do that?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro and Plain text PW (Pro)

Since you've already got a working peer network, I assume you've gotten the XP machine correctly setup as far as machine name and workgroup, etc. Before you mess around with protocol adding, which may or may not be necessary, go take a look here: Practically Networked. There are some things you need to do to XP that I would never have known if I hadn't read this stuff.

Al

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Al,
    Yes, XP is set up correctly in the workgroup. I had previously read that article that you referred to and I also learned a lot. It did not solve my problem with some PCs unable to see XP. Any thoughts about the plain text password issue?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Have you turned OFF the MS Firewall that is on by default?
    And are you running any other type of Firewall on the XP machine?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave makes a good point in his post. Better make sure that XP firewall is turned off. The only places I've worked have had NT servers and plenty of Win98 machines connecting without trouble. We started with Win95 and that wasn't a problem either. Besides, you have a PEER network so something specifically about a server shouldn't be a problem.

You said you looked over the Tim Higgins stuff, so please don't take offense! Are you sure you've turned off simple file sharing and set up on the XP machine the user names and/or groups that you want to give permission to? My home peer network, consisting of a machine with Win98, another with WinME and a laptop (occasionally) with Win98. On ALL those machines, I logon to their respective Windows with a user name AHOFFMAN and no passwords! They're all in the house, and ALL the drives are password protected, so I don't use any when I start Windows. NONE of those machines could see this XP Pro machine until I turned off the firewall, turned off simple file sharing and created a user called "ahoffman." Since my machines don't use passwords, there was also something in XP Policies that I had to set to allow non-password access. I also found that in the Tim Higgins series or I would've still been scratching my head.....

Don't think I'm helping much and I, like you, feel frustrated for you. Keep tryin'

Al

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the post. I have turned off the XP firewall and simple file sharing, and turned on "Allow remote users to log on without password", buried deep in the security settings referred to in the article. Created a user for each of the networked PCs, but alas, only some of them can't connect to the XP. When they log in they are asked for a password, which means that XP can't authenticate them as legit users. A colleague thinks that is something to do with Master Browser settings, but can't find anything relevant in the KB. We will visit the site together tomorrow, so I'll let you know what happened.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "...when they log in they are asked for a password..." Are you talking about THEIR machine and when they first start Windows? In a peer network, there should be no log in when one user tries to use files on another machine. If the drives and/or file folders on the XP machine are shared, the other user should be able to "see" them with Explorer or File Open commands or whatever. Do you mind 'splainin' a little more? Exactly how are the other users trying to "see" the XP machine?

Al

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

My experience wasn
    H Lewton

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro-SOLVED!

First I'll answer your questions, then I'll tell you the solution we found.
    When the user logs on to the network all is fine. When he uses Windows explorer or Net Neighborhood to highlight (see) the XP machine he gets a box which says that a password is needed to make this connection.
    This means that XP doesn't know who the user is. And the solution is:
    In the XP's TCP/IP properties/Advanced(?) (I'm not on XP now) check the box that says Use Netbios over IP. This will allow XP to resolve Netbios names from Win 95 PCs. It worked!! The problem PC can now connect to the XP shares. Why some 95 PCs were OK and others no good remains a mystery, but now they all work.
    One remaining 98 PC still had a problem, which we solved by deleting and reinstalling the network stack several times. It seems that the Client for Microsoft networks was not binding properly with TCP/IP. Since the PC was also running Netbeui it had no problems connecting to the non-xp PCs on the net.
    So, the bottom line is we had two separate problems, but they all involved network protocols.
    As for the firewall issue, I've seen that before on another network where the clients had Norton Internet Security installed and NIS prevented the XPs from connecting to other PCs.

Thanks to all who posted their comments. I found the link to practicallynetworked.com especially helpful.
    Howard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro-SOLVED!

Whew! And anudder one bites the dust!

Good for you, Howard!

Al