New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 2000 locking up

I have been havin a problem for awhile now that when I go to open a file and change the directory the program will lock up and then the only way to fix it is to restart the machine. Well it won't shut down and I have to power down with the power button. I also have noticed that IE does not respond to an address if you do not type http:// before the address. This always happend before or after the other software locks up. So it seems what ever microsoft application is not working right is used for both. I am thinking explorer.exe as I have also go the message that explorer.exe is not responding when trying to shut down.
    I ran symantic win doctor and I got this message for one of the errors that it could not fix
    C:WINNTSystem32MAPISRVR.EXE" cannot access a necessary file, "gapi32.dll."

does that have anything to do with the problem I am having.

I don't know where to start in trouble shooting this. Help!

Todd

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win 2000 locking up

Clean up your hard drive:
    http://www.thewordexpert.com/cleanyourpc.htm

And then, the first time you get an error, write it down and let us know what it is.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

First things first - you can safely ignore the error regarding "GAPI32.DLL". It's common, it's not hurting anything, and certainly isn't the cause of your problem.

The best thing to try is to remove all non-essential programs from starting when Windows does. Chances are very high that you have something running in the background that is interfering. In Windows 2000 there really isn't an easy way to do this, but you can download X-setup and use it to enable/disable startup programs. Enable them one at a time until the lockups recur (provided that disabling them solves the problem).

It might also behoove you to run the Windows 2000 system file checker. You can invoke this by going to Start -- Run and entering SFC /SCANNOW. You may be prompted for your installation CD so have it handy.
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

NOTE the following is from the link posted by Dreamboat at http://www.thewordexpert.com/cleanyourpc.htm
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    <font color=red>Step 4: Cleanup by running Scandisk and Defrag.

Ideally, at this point, you

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.