New Lounger
    Thanks

Converting backend database (All)

I have a typical Access97 split database. We will soon be upgrading the workstation applications to Access2000. I know that we will still be able to link to tables in the existing, unconverted backend database. What I would like to understand is what benefits there may be to converting the backend database also. It contains only data tables. Any comments?

Don

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Converting backend database (All)

I would definitely convert as soon as you can. The trick is to get everyone upgraded fairly quickly - you can connect Access2000 FEs to Access97 BEs, but not the other way around, so you can't convert the BE until everyone has an Access 2000 FE. However you will find the performance somewhat doggy when running an Access97 BE, and 97 BEs seem to be much more prone to corruption than 2000 BEs. We took about 6 weeks converting about 80 clients to Office 2000 SP1, and suffered some fairly serious corruption with one of the 97 BEs. Hope this helps.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Converting backend database (All)

Thanks. My one experience with this at a different client was with quite a small database, where some users have O97, some O2000 and some OXP, and they are all successfully using a 97 BE, but with the small mdb and light usage, the performance wasn't noticably reduced. In the present instance, all users (perhaps 20 or so) will upgrade to O2000 at once, so it looks like I should upgrade the BE, too.

Don Ravey
    http://ravey.net/