5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help Window Shrinks Access Window (Access 2000)

I normally use Access 97 but I'm working in Access 2000 right now and the Help system there is terrible compared to Access 97! One thing about it that is driving me crazy: If I press F1 in VBA code or in a property sheet Access squeezes down my main window and pops up the Help window in the cleared out space. Is there some way to make it stop doing that? I would much rather have Help pop up in front of my main window and leave the main window alone!

Thanks,
    Bill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help Window Shrinks Access Window (Access 2000)

I agree. The HTML-based Help system of A2K is terrible! I have nothing but problems with mine. It's slow, it crashes, it works erratically...I hate it. That's why I chose to create the Help system for my latest Access application using the old, non-HTML based Help approach of Office 97 and earlier. It's cleaner, faster, and it works.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

And unfortunately, in my opinion, the Help in XP/2002 is less useful than that in 2000. I work in dual monitor mode most of the time, so in those situations the push-over behavior of the HTML Help isn't so obnoixious, but it is still a pain. Hopefully they will improve on it in the next iteration.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bill,

See if the following article from TechNet helps :

PSS ID Number: Q253289
    Article last modified on 11-21-2001

:2000

================================================== ====================
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

- Microsoft Excel 2000
    - Microsoft Access 2000
    - Microsoft Word 2000
    - Microsoft PowerPoint 2000
    - Microsoft Outlook 2000
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    ========

When you start the Visual Basic Editor in one of the Microsoft Office 2000
    programs listed at the beginning of this article and then press F1 to start
    online Help, the Visual Basic Editor (VBE) window may be resized to make room
    for the Help window.

CAUSE
    =====

This behavior is by design in Office 2000 programs.

WORKAROUND
    ==========

To prevent Help from resizing the VBE window, you can undock the Help window.
    After the Help window is undocked and closed, it reverts to the undocked state
    the next time it is started. To undock the Help window, follow these steps:

1. Start Microsoft Access 2000, and then open any database.

2. Open a new or existing module so that the Visual Basic Editor starts.

3. Press F1 to start online Help.

4. To undock the Help window, right-click on the title bar of the Help window,
    and then click Move on the shortcut menu.

NOTE: If Move appears unavailable (dimmed), click Restore, and then click
    Move.

5. Use the four-headed arrow symbol to move and position the window where you
    want it. When you are finished, press ENTER. Do not maximize the window.

6. Click the Close button in the upper-right corner of the Help screen to close
    the window.

When you start Help again, it should no longer resize the VBE window.

Additional query words: resize MSDN VBA editor VBE OFF2000 ACC2000 XL2000 WD2000 rearrange code window Visual Basic

================================================== ====================
    Keywords : kbdta
    Technology : kbWordSearch kbOutlookSearch kbExcelSearch kbAccessSearch kbPowerPtSearch kbWord2000Search kbWord2000 kbAccess2000 kbExcel2000 kbPowerPt2000 kbZNotKeyword2 kbAccess2000Search kbPowerPt2000Search kbOutlook2000Search kbExcel2000Search kbZNotKeyword3 kbExcelWinSearch
    Version : :2000
    Issue type : kbprb
    ================================================== ===========================
    Copyright Microsoft Corporation 2001.

Regards,

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell, they need to 'improve' it by going back to the Office 97 version!

I've seen other people say that they use dual monitors. How do you make use of two monitors -- I mean what do you put on different screens? How do you control what goes where? Just curious...

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adrian, that is right on the money! I'll try it the next time I open Access 2000.

Thanks,
    Bill

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Actually I discovered yesterday that there is an improved version of the HTML help that you can download from the MS web site - sorry I don't remember the URL, but you should be able to find it with a search.

As to dual monitors, what I do is run forms and other such stuff in one window on one monitor, and the VBA tools on the other monitor. That way I can see progress being made in code and also the behavior of forms or reports. Actually they are useful in other ways too - I can compare two databases on different monitors and visually see the differences, etc. We use the Matrox card in some cases - the only hitch is with Win2000 Pro the drivers insist on making your screen one large window so if you maximize a window it goes to 2560 by 1024 pixels, instead of just filling one monitor at 1280 by 1024. But it works fine on Win98/ME.
    Wendell

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Wendell, I'll go look for that update and see if it helps any. The KB article that Adrian mentioned did help the annoyance of automatic resizing of my windows -- once you drag the Help window around so it is undocked, it appears to stay that way and not interfere with the other windows.

That dual monitors operation sounds very useful! I use a laptop all the time so I doubt that I can implement that feature in my system.

Thanks,
    Bill