Thread: Desktop Trick

Lounger
    Thanks

Desktop Trick

As I have received such great help from the forum, I thought that I would like to give something back. I like an uncluttered Desktop, (so that I can drool over my wallpaper, Carrera GT). I have only 3 icons. My computer, (renamed 'Thingy' with a wacky Icon), Trash Can and a folder. Make the Folder by Rt. Clicking Desktop, choose New, Folder. Rename folder, (mine is called FUS, Frequently Used Shortcuts). Open Explorer, drag the left-hand side to expose Folder and drag with Right-hand mouse button the executable files of all your most used programs. When you let your mouse button go, choose 'make shortcut here'. Drag a copy of your Games folder in too if you wish. I have made a Folder called 'Tools' and have the likes of Adaware, Spider, Cookie, etc. there. Once you have the folder sorted, Rt.-click the task bar, choose toolbars, and click on desktop. Tha word 'Desktop' should appear in your 'Quicklaunch' toolbar on the taskbar. move you mouse over the ridge to the left of the word Desktop to get a doubleheaded arrow, drag it all the way to the right. Click on the >> and your desktop icons will show. All sorts of things become available, ie 'trashcan' shows all files deleted, 'my computer' lists all your drives, and FUS has all the programs that you need to start. I rarely go to the Start button now.
    Hope that this may be of some use to Forum readers, I hope that I've got the steps right as this was off the top of my head and it's a while since I set mine up.

Cheers,
    Kiwi

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Desktop Trick

Good one, Kiwi.
    If you'd care to slide over to my (totally non-commercial) website and click the Index button, find Instant Information and dnld it (it's a tiny zip file that opens in Word) you'll find how to incorporate the desktop idea into Instant Integrated Information. What this means is that all your important phone nos., user names and so on are never more than one click away, no matter where you are in Windows. All you need to be able to do, once your method has been followed, is to make use of standard *.cdf files.
    Great minds and all that...

Lounger
    Thanks

Will click over presently MerC. I must make one correction to the above Desktop Trick. Desktop toolbar doesn't appear in the Quick Launch toolbar but on the Taskbar itself. Turn off the Quick Launch toolbar, it becomes redundent.

Kiwi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I figured this out when I got tired of the quick launch tool bar taking up so much space on the task bar. To build a tool bar all you need to do is make a folder somwhere with a bunch of shortcuts in it then right click on the Task bar, select Toolbars/New Toolbar and brows to the folder with the shortcuts. If you put other folders in the "Toolbar" folder they become cascading menus similar to the start button.
    Too bad you can't do that on the Quick Launch tool bar. If you put a folder in there It just opens the folder in Explorer.
    Thanks,

C DeWitt