Star Lounger
    Thanks

External style descriptions? (Word 2000 SR-1)

Hi all... I'm developing a "document framework" for a client that will be populated with content and distributed to his clients. I think I'm a fairly skilled user, but am pushing my limits with this challenge:

Is it possible to create an external "master template" source of styles for Word documents, along the lines of a CSS (or a .STY file for the Word 6 vets!!!). The idea with this is that he could customise the look and feel (and maybe even field values) of the entire document set for individual clients by changing the style attributes in just one file.

I know that I can get this exact result if I select "Tools... Templates... Add-ins... Automatically Update Document Styles", but as I understand it, this setting is only good on my computer, and is likely to be ineffectual for stuff going on other computers where I don't have this control.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

Neil

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: External style descriptions? (Word 2000 SR-1)

Hi Neil:
    Once a document is created, it's styles are detached from the template which created it. The styles should always stay the same UNLESS the user does something affirmatively (intentionally or not) to change the styles. Of course, that something could be using the Format/Theme/Style Gallery & using other templates to copy styles to the document. You can also use "based on" styles, where changing the base style will ripple throughout all the styles that are based on it. e.g. changing the font for the normal style will change most of the styles in your document because most styles are based on the normal style.

Hope this helps.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: External style descriptions? (Word 2000 SR-1)

Neil,

With regard to your last paragraph, that is only true if you (and the external users) are basing all of your documents on Normal.dot - that is, creating new documents by clicking on the New Blank Document icon or going to File > New > Blank. - That is not the recommended way to go about things if you want to have customized styles that are reproducible across a group of users.

What you're asking in your second paragraph sounds achieveable - you would need a separate template for each client's defined style set. The names of the styles used would have to be the same across the entire group of customized client style templates. Then attaching any specific template to the document and updating styles should achieve what you want.

If you have a setup like this, and are not averse to using VBA, you can create a customized interface to permit switching from one client style to another, without the user needing to go to the Templates dialog and browse for a specific template.

Gary