Star Lounger
    Thanks

Odd requirement!!! (Word 97)

Hi,
    We are preparing large documents with lots of chapters. When we come across something shown as below eg:
    1.Chapter1
    1.1 Sub Chapter
    1.1.1 Sub Chapter
    1.1.2 Sub Chapter 2
    1.1.3 Sub Chapter

As it can be observed only 1.1.2 has a different label for chapter name, Is it possible to generate this sort of lables in bullets & numbering.

Thanx let us know if more clarification is required.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Odd requirement!!! (Word 97)

Hey, Extreme. This one looks difficult, but it's just an oddball.

Easiest way to set up this kind of numbering:
    http://www.thewordexpert.com/word.htm#Outl...mberingMadeEasy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Dreamboat,

Have to take two exceptions to your advice:

(1) Your suggestions for formatting specific areas seem to recommend using outline numbering schemes without linking them to styles. Most authorities suggest that doing numbering this way is not reliable.

(2) Nothing in the outline numbering tips on your site addresses the type of numbering requirement xtreme is requesting, so it's unclear why you are referring him/her to those instructions.

As far as I know, the specific numbering requirement xtreme is looking to do, isn't achievable via the bullets & numbering > customize dialog in Word.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm...perhaps you're right, Gary. In making my post, I made several assumptions and was trying to give Xtreme some direction.

To be more specific, I have done what xtreme needs to do with the instructions under Formatting Headings. The difference would be that instead of SubChapter as the *label*, they would be Heading1, 2, and so forth. I understood those *labels* to be examples, but there is a word or two in Xtreme's post that indicates that he needs those exact subchapter labels. The subchapter 2 looks like a mistake to me.

I assumed that Xtreme is just a victim of a bad formatting job and that doing it properly by using the Formatting Headings directions using the Heading styles will resolve his issue.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,
    Thanx for replay,
    There was no mistake in what i typed about chapter numbers, the chapter names are assumed names real names will be different. reconsolidating my requirement is to have a different chapter name for only one heading in bullets & numbering as given before.

Thanx

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, X. When I said: "The subchapter 2 looks like a mistake to me."

I did not mean YOUR mistake, but a mistake made by the person who previously created the styles. 1.1.1, 1.1.2, and 1.1.3 are all the same level of numbering and would not (should not) have different styles--they would be the same style.

I'd be willing to take a look at your doc, Xtreme. See if I can help you out... Dreamboat@TheWordExpert.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks

xtreme,

Perhaps Dreamboat will be able to come up with a workaround in your document, but unfortunately I don't think you will be able to find a solution within the context of a Word outline numbered list - what you're looking to do is have a list level defined to produce one kind of numbering in most cases, but in some other cases produce a slightly different kind of numbering.

Word's outline numbering feature doesn't provide that kind of flexibility - there are clumsy workarounds that can be attempted but I've never seen one that didn't actually make the problem worse!
    It might also be possible to achieve by abandoning outline numbered lists, by creating a numbering system using SEQ fields - something I can't advise you on other than to say that these can get very complicated to create and maintain - it's possible that a search of this forum will turn up some additional information on that alternative.

In this case you may need to consider typing in that extra number manually.

Gary