Thread: File Properties

Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Properties

Windows Me gives an extra page to some file property sheets for entering summary information. With Office documents, for instance, you can add comments that appear in the file details in Explorer, or the details in Web view, or i the pop-up Infotip.
    Some file types eg txt, exe, zip don't have this extra page. But of those that do - and I've only tried JPG, TIF and GIF, anything you type in on the is immediately forgotten.
    Is this a fault on my system (these files are set to open with the default Windows Image Preview, and the preview and thumbnail stuff works OK.) or is it what MS call 'by design'?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Properties

FYI on my Win ME setup the property tabs work great, on Office product files there are two extra tabs, Custom and Summary. In Summary (Advanced) data about the file is summarized, and In Summary (Simple) the data fields that are available do indeed hold the data you've entered even if you reboot.
    On JPG, TIF, etc files there is only the summary sheet but that works well also..
    Have you done any changes to your initial setup?
    Bob

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes - the Office stuff works fine, but other file types just forget the summary information immediately.
    As far as I know my Me installation is pretty well 'out the box' - the associations for JPG etc are with the Windows viewer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Was your ME installation an upgrade? Or was it a clean install on a new machine/harddrive?
    On my system my grahic files (JPG, TIF, etc) are associated with Ulead's Photoimpact and I doubt if the extra field data are tied to that - more than likely they are associated with the operating system through the explorer.. but I'm not adept enough to figure out what to look for in the registry to see if anything has gone bonkers on you.. Maybe someone else can step in??

Bob
    I can sympathize with your frustration - been there, done that, and been helped here - so there is still hope..