R Stovall

Problem Displaying Images in All Office Help Files

I recently added a second hard drive to my system and moved office to a new drive. After doing so all of my Office applications (I have Office Premium) including Project and Visio no longer display the images in any of their help files. I tried running the repair function in Office. I uninstalled Office and reinstalled it. I uninstalled Office and reinstalled it in the original drive. I ran the html help files update from Microsoft (hhupd.exe). I ran the IE repair. All of these actions didn't change anything. The help files still all come up with red x's in place of .bmp and .gif images.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to resolve this?
    Thanks in advance.
    Ross

BAM

Re: Problem Displaying Images in All Office Help Files

Hi Ross,

I believe the main problem here is that you *moved* Office instead of installing it to your second HD.

I also suspect that you will run into even more problems in the future since moving files doesn't update the Registry.

My advice would be to install Office instead of trying to fix each problem as it may arise.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cheers!

R Stovall

BAM,

Thanks for your reply. I suspect you're right with regards to "moving" Office but I've tried completely uninstalling Office and every other Office program (i.e. Project and Visio) and reinstalling but to no avail. Since I can't unmove Office I'm looking for a fix to my current state.

Thanks for your reply.
    Ross

ileacy

Check this article out about how to completely remove O2K.
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q239/9/38.ASP>OFF2000: Utility to Completely Remove Remaining Office CD1 Files and Registry Entries</A>

De-install. Run the cleanup. And then re-install to the new drive.

This should get you back in shape.

R Stovall

Ian,

Thanks for the advice. I tried removing Office, running the eraser utility and then reinstalling Office but still got the same result with no images showing in help. I then tried uninstalling virtually every piece of Microsoft software from my system (Office, PhotDraw, Project, Visio, Encarta, Outlook Express) leaving only Windows and Internet Explorer ( I wasn't brave enough to try taking IE off) and then ran the eraser utility again, reinstalled Office and still got the same problem.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Ross

Thanks

Hi Ross,
    This may be a stupid question, but if you right-click on the IE icon on the desktop, choose Properties - Advanced tab, under the Multimedia section is the Show Pictures box checked? If not, that might explain your problem.
    Just a thought.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

ileacy

By George, I think you've got it.

Tested here by unclicking applying and then viewing a Help page with images (just gif in this case). Get x place holder with Show Pictures unchanged. Re-check, apply, navigate away from help page and back. Get the picture again.

Need to keep remembering that IE settings control display of HTML help.

Ross:
    The good news is that it looks like Rory has solved your specific problem, and, you probably needed to run the eraser anyway to clean up from attempting to move office to a new drive.

The bad news is that you probably went through the de-install/re-install a *bit* more than was needed.

R Stovall

Rory and Ian,

Thanks for your help. I checked the IE settings and show picture was already checked. I tried turning it off on another one of my systems and sure enough none of the images showed in any MS applications but the symptom was different. Instead of a red X I got a picture placeholder. At any rate I needed to use my applications (with or without the images in help) so I continued to reload my other Microsoft applications that I'd taken off. I put Visio back on and Project and low and behold the images started working in help. I certainly don't understand why but I'm not arguing with the results. The only thing that concerns me now is that I got an error message upon rebooting after install that states "Error 1904 Module cwindowssystemMSRCLR40.DLL failed to register HRESULT - 2147023739" Everything seems to work fine but that obviously concerns me. I'll run the system file checker (I'm running Win 98SE) tonight to verify my files are all OK and then run Office Repair one more time (I hope I'm not playing with fire here).

Anyway I appreciate your having been willing to spend some of your valuable time and giving me your comments and suggestions.

Thanks again.
    Ross

ileacy

Ross.
    This may help you.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q237/2/94.asp?>OFF2000: Error 1904 During Office 2000 Setup</A>

R Stovall

Ian,

Thanks again. That's a very useful article. An interesting note is that when I was in the Internet Explorer advanced settings the other day checking on whether the show pictures box was checked I turned on delete IE temp files on exit and boy did it ever delete files. It took many minutes to delete them all. This was just before I reinstalled Visio and Project when everything started working. I also did a repair last night on Office again and everything registered OK and is working.

Thanks again for all your help.
    Ross