Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Function as sub/macro (word97sr2)

Something I learned this morning - I can treat a Function as a Sub for purposes of testing - providing that the function uses no parameters.

<pre>Public Function strGrabEntireParagraph() As Stringblah blah blah
    End Function
    </pre>

If you've met me before you know I usually embed a small TEST Sub as a comment block at the end of the procedure for purposes of regression testing, illustration etc.

I wasn't thinking this morning, and just started single-stepping through my function. It was over half an hour later that I realised I'd forgotton to write a SUB to test it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function as sub/macro (word97sr2)

I assume that by treating a "function as a sub", you mean calling a function without assigning its return value to a variable?
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Function as sub/macro (word97sr2)

> calling a function without assigning

Yes, but more specifically, in VBE, by selecting any line within the function procedure and then clicking on the single-step button on the toolbar.

When I started writing Word/VBA, my procedures were functions that took arguments and incidentally returned results. For these functions I needed to have a short TEST Sub associated with the function in order to supply appropriate test argument values to the function being tested. It is now a habit.

More recently I started implementing procedures as Functions for those procedures-without-arguments that I didn't want to show up as macros in the Word interface (Tools, Macro, Macros ... Run).

So my mind is/was fixed on "You gotta have a Test Sub in order to test a Function". Now I find it ain't so!

I should probably continue my standard, such as it is, of including a brief TEST example sub with each procedure, be it a function or a subroutine-with-arguments.

It just struck me as a piece of knowledge.

I know we had a thread on this early last year (March 2001 or thereabouts)