2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost HTML - All Messages Plain Text (Outlook XP SP1)

G'day All.

About a week ago I suddnely lost the ability to send, receive and almost all ability to view HTML e-mail. I have a 300+ Mb pst file with mail going back years and literally hundreds of HTML mail messages - it all now shows as plain text now. I use Word to create my mail (stop right there, I know what you're going to say ...) and I can create in HTML, use fonts colors etc. I send the mail then pop into the outbox for a look - it's in HTML. I send the mail (to myself and others) and when it arrives, it's plain text.

What really has me worried is that all my mail throughout my mail folders is all now in plain text, or at least it's showing that way in the preview pane and the editor.

Any ideas ?

I can't think of anything I've installed that would have effected this change. I upgraded to SP1 about a month or more ago when it arrived. I've done a detect and repair (although I kept my settings - next step I guess is to restore all those to defaults.)

I have an IPAQ connected to the system and it synch's my inbox along with certain other folders. All the mail that comes into the IPAQ is plain text, but that's never affected the desktop store at all before.

Comments welcome, Regards Ken

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost HTML - All Messages Plain Text (Outlook XP SP1)

Further to Previous ...

I've just used my Laptop Outlook XP to open my Desktop Outlook.pst file through the LAN - all relevant e-mails show in HTML and send/receive in HTML is fine. So it's my desktop copy of Outlook that's the cause of the problem.

Still looking for suggestions ...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

sounds like you used the readasplain key on the desktop.

look here, either delete or change the value to 0:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0Outloo kOptionsMail

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bloody Hell !

Thanks MaryJ it worked a treat. How on earth did I set that in the Registry - is there an obscure option somewhere in Outlook that does it ? I'm dead sure I didn't run a .reg file by mistake anywhere - I know better than that.

Could you tell me how you came across this and what you meant by "readasplain key on the desktop"

Thanks Again ! Regards Ken

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

AFAIK, there isn't a reg file, but when the office sp was released a lot of newsletters (like WOW, lockergnome, langa etc) all mentioned the ability to force plain text and many people tried it, a few forgot about it because they don't get much HTML mail. I really don't like it, i use chilton preview to force plain text in preview and can open the messages to read them in HTML.

"readasplain key on the desktop" means you set that key in the registry on the desktop machine that isn't displaying HTML.