Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Installation From CD (VB 6.0 / W98)

Now that I have my first VB application ready for use, is there any recommended way to create a CD that will automatically install the application on a hard drive and create a shortcut on the desktop? Also, is there an accompany'ing uninstall method?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Installation From CD (VB 6.0 / W98)

My VB6 installation includes the Package and Deployment Wizard.
    The PD wizard takes care of installation scripts etc.

Don't know if it is part of every flavor though - I use the Professional Edition. It is possible that it is not part of a standard installation - the VB gurus will undoubtedly be able to tell you.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,

I found it in the Add-Ins menu.

Great!!!

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You may know this already, but you need a file on the cd called "autorun.inf", which is structured similar to an ini file. Besides your setup.exe and any supporting files for the installation, you could include an icon file in the root of the cd. The autorun.inf looks like this:
    <pre>
    [Autorun]
    ICON=.SomeIconName.ico
    OPEN=.Setup.exe (or whatever name you have)

</pre>

That's it. I noticed strange behavior on my Win2000 machines if I didn't put the . in front of the file names. When the cd was inserted, a program group window containing the above files opened, rather than the setup just starting. The . seemed to solve this.

You could create the autorun.inf in advance and make sure it's on the root of your cd.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ron,

Yes, I have the Autorun thing working. However, the ICON = bit that you suggested seemingly changes the CD drive Icon, and I don't want to do that. I want to install an icon on the desktop that is a shortcut to the program that I install from the CD. Am I missing something here?

Also, there are one or two auxiliary files on the CD that I would like to copy to the directory where the program is installed. Can one add such instructions to the Autorun or Setup files, and if so, how does one do it?

Is there a writeup somewhere on the web on how to do these installation procedures?

Thanks,

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not extremely knowledgeable on all this install stuff...I usually end up learning as I go, like most of us.

As far as the icon is concerned...why not change the cd drive icon? That seems to be the default behavior in windows. Example: put in a Quicken or other install cd, and don't install when prompted to. Look at Windows explorer. There you see a specific description and sometimes an icon for the cd. Take out the cd, and it changes back to the generic icon and description.

About the desktop shortcut issue...If you're using the standard package and deployment wizard, you have to jump through many hoops and do some serious programming to get something as simple as a desktop shortcut. You have to modify the Setup1.vbp file to acomplish this. Thus the popularity of 3rd party install tools, which do things like that without breaking a sweat. Unfortunately, they are quite pricey. There's one I've been playing with called INF-Tool, which leverages the built in install capability of Windows. It's free, but if you need anything fancy on your install you need to buy the Pro version (about $50, still a major bargain). You can go onto ZDNet and search downloads for "Setup" and you should find it. It's not a total no-brainer to use, but fairly easy.

As far as auxialliary files on the cd...I'm not sure of that one. Presumably they should be included in your setup rather than being there on the cd by themselves. Most setup building programs have a place where you browse for extra files you want to add to the project. There's no way that I know of for the autorun to be smart enough to know where you installed your program, and thus where to copy the extra files to.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Ron,

Well, it all sounds much too complicated for me. I don't understand why it should be so complicated. I can accomplish most of the functions with a simple MS-DOS batch file although not as elegantly.