Star Lounger
    Thanks

backup drivers/software for tape drive

Hi folks,
    I have a client who has an NT 4 Server with Win98 clients, using a Seagate TapeStor DAT-8 for backup. They want to change the computer that the tape drive is housed in, but they have no original driver disk or backup software.
    What's the deal: if there are drivers, does Windows have a built-in backup utility that can access the tape drive? Or do we need to find a specific backup program?

FWIW, I looked on Seagate's site and (from memory) I don't think there's a problem in getting the drivers, but I couldn't find any info on the right software to use.

Thanks for your help. By the way, if someone could point me to a link for a backup utility, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again,

CharlieT.

Thanks

Re: backup drivers/software for tape drive

Is the backup program and drive going to be on an NT4 server? - or are you wanting to run it from one of the W98 machines?

I can recommend UltraBac - I find it very flexible with regard to scheduling and can use a HD on another PC for fast temporary storage.
    I'm sure you will get plenty of other recommendations from others....

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: backup drivers/software for tape drive

Thanks for the reply. It runs on the Win98 workstation. Actually, though, I was able to download an update to their existing backup program and for now, the drive will stay in the computer it has been in.

Charlie T.