3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OL slow since connecting to Exchange server (2000)

OL 2000
    CW Mode
    Up until recently we have used POP3 to get email from our companies Exchange server which is located several states away from our office. We now have increased our internet bandwidth and setup a VPN between our office and the location of the Exchange server. The only change I made in Outlook was to remove the POP3 service and add the Exchange service. All my emails still come to my inbox that is linked to my local PST and so on. Now for some reason everything I do in OL is slower. When I create, edit or delete and email, task, appointment, contact or any of the various items in OL the process seems to drag.
    I have little experience with Exchange server but I'm guessing that maybe Rules could be the culprit. So my questions is..

A) If there are server side rules could they be slowing down my OL even though I have not done anything in OL to engage server side rules?

[img]/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif[/img] If not server side rules than what else might be the culprit?

Thanks
    Ed

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: OL slow since connecting to Exchange server (2000)

mapi access is always slower than using pop or imap.

are you working online or offline? if offline, only syncing should be slower.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

First - thanks for replying and I apolagize for taking so long to answer but for some reason I never got an email that someone replied and so I didn't realize there was a post.

I have learned more about this since my post back in May and the answer is that, as you have pointed out, connecting to Exchange directly is always slower then using POP or imap. I am working on line and because of that I believe that OL and Exchange are in constant communication with one another trying to keep both synchronized which is a serous drain on performance. To address this my company has increased our bandwdth and our IT dept is looking into placing Exchange servers in each main office and have them all synchronized with one another. That way the end user does not see a drag on their side since they are synchronizing with a system on the LAN and not one on a WAN.

Thanks Again [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Until your bandwidth is increased try using outlook web access to your remote server - it does the job for me and is quicker than using outlook.