New Lounger
    Thanks

FP2002/IE6/IBM Thinkpad - Site Display Problem (FP2002 10.2623.2625)

(Edited by Leif to make link live - see the quick guide)

I just published a new version of my business web site using FrontPage 2002 and a purchased template/theme. Shortly after publishing it, a friend reported that he frequently sees a pattern of spots in the background when he clicks the tabs (the links between the main pages). Though the problem is intermittent, he says the problem is so bad that it becomes difficult to read the text.

I have tested the site with IE 5.0, IE 5.5, IE 6.0, Netscape 4.7, Opera 6.0, AOL, on Windows 2000, Windows 98 SE, and on several different computers. I cannot recreate the symptom he is describing! He is using an IBM Thinkpad, with Windows 2000, and IE 6.0. His video settings are 1024x768 and True Color 32-bit, which are identical to mine.

Since the problem is intermittent I suspect some sort of video driver incompatibility, which something on my web site is triggering ... perhaps a certain graphic or color. Has anyone ever experienced a problem like this? The web site URL is:

http://www.jonestechnicalservices.com.

I would appreciate it if someone could take a look, offer a possible solution, or even just recreate the problem.

Thanks,

Paul Jones

Thanks

Re: FP2002/IE6/IBM Thinkpad - Site Display Problem (FP2002 10.2623.2625)

The only thing I can see in the way of dots is the usual outline I see when a graphic is clicked - see the attached screen-shot.
    However, I can not get it so bad that the text becomes illegible.

Is the person with the viewing problem using IE6 & the IBM thinkpad? What screen resolution are they using?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (1.8 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif,

Yes he is using the IBM Thinkpad, IE 6.0, at screen resolution 1024x768. I have tested using IE 6.0 and screen resolution 1024x768 (though I don't have access to an IBM Thinkpad) but have not been able to recreate the symptom. Unfortunately he doesn't live nearby so I haven't been able to witness the problem either.

PS - Thanks for the tip on activating the link!

Thanks

The only thing else I can think of may be an odd setup in Tools > Internet Options > Colors (in IE5 anyway), or the setup with the screen Display properties - e.g. 256 colours.

See if you can get an example screen-shot - either use Hardcopy or a simple PrintScreen pasted into Word.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Site Display Problem - Screen Shot

Hi Leif,

Here is the screen shot from my friend. Interesting. It looks like the "spots" (he says sometimes they look like dashes, sometimes dots) appear in the background wherever there is no graphic or background color. He also says if he clicks the browser's Refresh button, the spots disappear.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks

Web Site Display Problem Resolved

Web Site Display Problem Resolved

The theme used a 5x5 pixel white background image as well as a white background color. I don't know why it caused the symptom with my friend's computer, but eliminating the background image from the theme solved the problem.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Paul