New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook's Missing Attachments (Outlook 97 SR2)

My user has had this strange problem. When he sends an email with an attachment to a group of users in his address book, not all of them get the attachment. They all get the email OK, but some of them lose the attachment. However, if he then individually types in the email address of the recipient who did not get the attachment, they then get the attachment.
    Has anyone come across this before? There is no limit on the size of the email sent out?
    Thanks a lot
    Kutty

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook's Missing Attachments (Outlook 97 SR2)

unless every person is on your server and all use outlook, use plain text format, not RTF format.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The email attachment is a Word Document and no, not all the recipients are internal.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I can speak for MaryJ, I think she meant that the mail format should be plain text. You should be able to set this while composing the mail item; it's under the format menu.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The mail format is in plain text. The attachment however, is a Word Document. What I do not understand, is that even if the mail format is not in plain text, why would the attachment not be received by some users and not all? I can understand it if the item was embedded in the email but surely not as an attachment. Also, why then does the attachment go when the email is addressed individually but not as a Distribution List? So many questions!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

There are lots and lots of possibilities. The key in your case may be the behavior delta between using a DL and an individual address. This suggests to me that Exchange is set to default outbound mail format to plain text, and that there is an outbound size limit set for plain text. So maybe (hedge) one of two things is going on. 1. You've set the individual contacts' mail type in your Outlook to RTF, which Exchange will respect, or 2. You don't reach the size limit when sending to an individual.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have checked Exchange and our settings are set to sending emails to plain text and there is no size limit set on the messages.